Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:19 pm

Well, I've heard it all now! Go for it, Annette. :lol:

Regards,
Anne H

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:13 pm

Excellent, Annette - goan, yersel'....why no? Gie it aw y'goat. :lol:
Eh'd hae nae chance at aw, nae bein' up on the lingo n'at, bein' an east coaster, ken. :(
(although some o'they wurds are used on the east coast an' aaw)

Best wishes
Lesley

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:40 pm

Scotlands very own Gail Porter mentioned this on The Wright Stuff on 5 on wednesday morning - she was funny doing her interpretation of *go away and boil your head*
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:56 pm

We also had a couple of radio clowns sending this up yesterday....they had a 'trained' Scottish speaker on the show. It was a hoot! He was saying phrases like "Och, away an' barl yer heid" and they were saying it meant something entirely different and likely to get someone into trouble if they believed it!

Years ago, the X and I were at my parents' house watching Billy Connolly, all laughing our heads off - except the X. After a while he said "What'd he say?" and it dawned on me that he couldn't understand it! So I had a frustrating time, because he kept interrupting me asking me to tell him what the joke was (and let's face it, sometimes you just have to be Scottish to understand his jokes).

The next morning, early, I found the X up anmd watching the video again, so that he could actually watch it with understanding.... :lol: :lol: :lol: But he should have gotten me up too, so I could see all the jokes I had missed talking to him! :roll:
Researching: Easton ( Renfrewshire, Dunbarton and Glasgow), Corr (Londonderry and Glasgow), Carson (Co. Down, Irvine, Ayrshire and Glasgow), Logan (Londonderry and Glasgow)