jessie whittle,walker,hutchison

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

liz hutchison

jessie whittle,walker,hutchison

Post by liz hutchison » Thu May 01, 2008 3:15 pm

hi new to this forum,im from australia.trying to work out a surname.jessie walker had twins to george hutchison,james and george dec 1873 at elgan.believe it was a handfast marriage.on james hutchisons marriage certificate it lists her as,jessie whittle formaly hutchison,m.s.walker.marriage took place 14 june 1901 at cowfuurach,enzie,banffshie,james married helen king.we have found some info on jessie we are lead to believe she married a charles whittle and in the 1901 cesus she was living at26 hillside terrace,branford,yorkshire.can anyone tell me when she married charles and when and where she died,was in around banffshire area.regards liz hutchison :D

paddyscar
Site Admin

Post by paddyscar » Thu May 01, 2008 4:19 pm

Hi Liz and welcome to TalkingScot [scotland-flag]

Couldn't locate a marriage record for Jessie to anyone with those surnames, nor a marriage of Charles Whittle/Wittle to anyone with the first name of Jessie, on ScotlandsPeople. She may have had irregular marriages in both cases, and registered neither.

There are only 2 death records for Jessie Whittle but both of those occur pre-1901.

Hope someone else has more success for you.

Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow

liz hutchison

Post by liz hutchison » Thu May 01, 2008 4:24 pm

thank you for that,believe that charles was from yorkshire.in early 1940s,a woman lived with james and wife at cottage 7 ,cowfurrach,they called her old jessie whittle which would have made her in her 90s.liz :lol:

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Thu May 01, 2008 5:06 pm

Hi Liz and welcome!
I think the age given for Charles is off in the 1901 census. Instead of reading 57, as it definitely looks like, it should be 51. In 1891 he was 41 (Jessie said she was too-- but that's another story)

144 Ripon St, Bradford, Yorkshire
Charles Whittle, Head, 41, Bookbinder, born Haydock, Lancashire
Jessie Whittle, Wife, 41, born Scotland

In 1881 he is unmarried, living in York, age 31, Bookbinder, birthplace Newton le Willows, Lancashire

So the marriage took place some time between 1881 and 1891.

In 1881, the only likely Jessie I can see is this one, older than one might think and with a daughter as well:

The Muir Fm House, Elgin, Moray
Jessie Calder, 41, Head, born Edinkillie, Morayshire, Out Door Fm Work
Mary A Davidson, 13, Daughter, born Elgin, Morayshire, Scholar
James Hutcheson, 7, Son, born New Elgin, Morayshire, Scholar

This is a transcription from Ancestry.com, so it is possible that "Calder" is really "Walker". I have not seen the original image.

Did George Jr not survive? Or perhaps I have a completely different family.

Do you have James and George's birth certificate? It could give some extra information like the occupation of their father that would help track him further and perhaps help us narrow down who Jessie really was.

It's a long jump from farm work in Morayshire to marrying a bookbinder in Yorkshire-- I'm not surprised you're confused! I don't see any obvious marriages in either Scotland or England. Hmmm. :?

Perhaps the first step, if you haven't done so, is to purchase the birth certificate for the twins at Scotland's People (link at top of page)

All the best,
Sarah

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Thu May 01, 2008 5:12 pm

If Charles was indeed from Yorkshire, and she was still living in Bradford in 1901, then they would probably have married in England.

I couldn't find a Charles Whittle on the 1901 census near Jessie's entry so she could have been widowed then.

Somebody will no doubt point you in the right direction to find any English records.

Have you a Death for the twins' father, George Hutchison, that could open a time scale for her remarriage/marriage.

Have you found any of the family [Mother, Father or twins] in any census before 1901 ?

More Questions than Answers I'm afraid but sometimes you need to go sideways to get forward [or back].

Remember too that Hutchison could be HutchiEson on some records.
Wilma

lizanne

Post by lizanne » Thu May 01, 2008 5:13 pm

I think that I have found Charles & Jessie on 1901 census living at Hillside Terrace inBradford.
If that is him it gives his place of birth as Haydock Lancashire.

deano

Post by deano » Thu May 01, 2008 5:22 pm

Hello Liz,

Your Jessie Walker was born 28/Dec/1847. Elgin, Moray. to parents James Walker, and Ann Smith, she had quite a few siblings, you will get them all on the IGI.

bY 1881, The twins are living with their grand parents at Torhead Croft, Elgin. no sign of Jessie, with the family.

Regards,
Jonn.

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Thu May 01, 2008 5:39 pm

Nice find, Deano!
Ancestry has the address down as "Forhead Croft" :lol: and for some reason Soundex did not pick up Hutchinson in a search for "hutchison". :?

Regards,
Sarah

lizanne

Post by lizanne » Thu May 01, 2008 11:03 pm

Nice one Deano. :)
Regards Jane x

Looking for : Gillan , Burnett , Martin , Greig , Adam , Black , Fraser , Morris , Garrow , Carle , Angus , Kynach and Broug . In Aberdeenshire and Banffshire. Wogan & Brannan/Brennan in Ireland

liz hutchison

Post by liz hutchison » Fri May 02, 2008 6:31 am

to answer a lot of postings.have checked what i have and do believe that charles was born in lancashire,that is the right one that is mentioned.both twins did survive.check with relatives and the twins did reside with the walker family when young.been told that george sen,married a mary monroe,in1892 and he died in 1912,greens of urquhart,morayshire,but have been told several death dates.if he died in 1912 how come on his sons marriage/cert,it says he was deceased in 1901?is it the same george sen,or all together a different george.this part of the family tree has me baffled.i would buy their b/c but i dont think scotlands people take palpay as i dont have a credit card.liz :(