Pollock/Dicey

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

talkhugh

Pollock/Dicey

Post by talkhugh » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:31 pm

I am trying to find any record for James Pollock born about 1802 to a James and Janet Pollock, lived reportedly Paisley until about 1835 before coming to Canada. He married Amelia Dacey who I think died before he came to Canada. They had three children: Mary, Lydia and Jeannie.

I realize I don't have much to work with but hoping someone may be able to help me.

Thank you.

HUgh
Pollock, Pollick, Polick, Neil, Boll, Livingston

Liz Turner
Global Moderator

Post by Liz Turner » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:39 pm

Dear Hugh

I'm not sure how long you've been searching, or where you've been looking, so bear with me if I ask some basic questions. Pollock is not that common a name, even today, so hopefully folks here might be able to suggest avenues for you to search.

Do you know where in Canada that James Pollock arrived? You might be able to check from there.

Have a look at this web page, it might give you some useful information, if you don't already have it:-

http://www.ist.uwaterloo.ca/~marj/genea ... oyage.html

I've done a search using the IGI for marriages of James Pollock in Scotland using 1827 +/- 10 as a year guide. I got 64 results, of which about 15 or so were in Renfrewshire. You gave his wife's name as Amelia Dacey - where did you come by this information (I couldn't find a match)? Could her name possibly be Lacey/Lacy? If they married in Scotland, have you checked the IGI or Scotland's People?

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... search.asp

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

Where in Canada did they settle? Did they go to family? What was his trade? If you can give us a wee bit more info, we'll try to come up with suggestions.

Liz
Fife: Nicolson, Cornfoot, Walker, Gibson, Balsillie, Galt, Elder
NE Scot: Nicolson, Lindsay, Haliburton, Ross
Edin & Central: Nicolson, Blaikie, Stevenson, Ross, Hotchkiss, Suttie, Christie, Clelland, Gray, Purvis, Lang, Dickson
Ross & Cromarty: Ross

talkhugh

James Pollock Amelia Dacey

Post by talkhugh » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:26 pm

Liz,

Thanks for your reply. I will add more information that I have.

I do not know the port of arrival but it would have to be Quebec City or Montreal as James settled in Lachute, QC. He was born in 1802 and was a farmer here until he died in 1848. His other wife was Rachel Maria Stephens of Mille Isles, QC. She died in 1841.

I took the name Amelia Dacey out of a Patterson family Tree drawn up in 1945 by someone I don;t know but it is well done. I cannot find any burial or death record for Amelia here in Canada so I have assumed she was his wife in Scotland - I realize it is not a good idea to assume such things.

James had 3 or 4 siblings and I have their names - two brotherrs married ladies from here and a sister married s McOuat from here too. I assumed again they all lived here. I was also given First John Pollock as his father's name (from another tree) but know nothing about him or where he lived.

It is very difficult to find passenger records here in Canada for arrivals before 1850 which is when they came.

I will try the sites you suggest and let you know how I make out. I am not a member of scotlandspeople and it generates too many hits with name search only.

After James and RAchel's deaths, their son Philander moved to Troy, NY. I have found quiet a bit on him but to go back up his line is another story.

Thanks again for your reply and effert to help.

Hugh

Liz Turner
Global Moderator

Post by Liz Turner » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:04 pm

Dear Hugh

I had a couple of credits left on Scotland's People, so here's what showed up when I searched for Banns/Marriages James Pollock 1820-1835 in the Parish of Renfrew - 6 hits:-

1 06/03/1821 POLLOCK JAMES MARY HOUSTON/FR726 M Paisley High Church /RENFREW 573/001 0040 0012
2 20/06/1823 POLLOCK JAMES ELISABETH CAMPBELL/FR1183 1436 M Neilston /RENFREW 572/ 0050 0026
3 29/06/1823 POLLOCK JAMES JEAN THOMSON/FR738 M Paisley High Church /RENFREW 573/001 0040 0037
4 10/06/1825 POLLOCK JAMES JANET CRAIG/FR894 M Lochwinnoch /RENFREW 570/ 0030 0283
5 11/01/1833 POLLOCK JAMES MARY LOCHHEAD/FR917 M Lochwinnoch /RENFREW 570/ 0030 0312
6 13/12/1835 POLLOCK JAMES JANE HENDRY/FR756 M Paisley Middle /RENFREW 573/002 0040 0129

Back around the time you're looking at a lot of the County was given over to farming - in fact today, lots of it still is - it's where I live!

You said "His other wife was Rachel Maria Stephens of Mille Isles, QC. She died in 1841". I've no idea what Canadian death certificates of the time gave in the way of information, but have you tried to find it?

You also said "James had 3 or 4 siblings and I have their names - two brotherrs married ladies from here and a sister married s McOuat from here too". If you can give us the names of the siblings and what information you have, it can sometimes help to search laterally. I've often been able to pick up a member of my direct line purely because a sibling was kind enough to have an unusal name!

I can't begin to tell you of the trauma that I suffered when I got my first "Brown" which was swiftly followed by a "Smith"!! Fortunately, they had distinct middle names which meant I could find them - they'd used the maiden names of wives as middle names, so that was a great help.

The name you gave for the husband of one of the siblings - McOuat - now that is an unusual name and in fact I've only come across it once before - a friend of one of my grandmother's friends - and coincidentally this man - Jack McOuat also came from the County of Renfrewshire ...

Don't give up - I follow a line until I think I can't do any more and then leave it for a while and go and follow something else. In fact earlier this week I went back to my notes from a long time ago (I draw all my families out on paper because I think I can visualise them better that way, before putting on the computer), and spotted a loose end that I'd failed to follow up. That's led me to find another half dozen people that I'd missed.

Cheers for now.

Liz
Edin & Central: Nicolson, Blaikie, Stevenson, Ross, Hotchkiss, Suttie, Christie, Clelland, Gray, Purvis, Lang, Dickson

talkhugh

James Pollock/ Dacey

Post by talkhugh » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:02 am

Liz,

I tried the sites you suggested without any success.

Most Canadian death certificates are church register entries with no information on parents - for example - unless they attended the burial of their child - unlikely. I have had little luck with them.

Regarding the names of James' siblings
Robert
Thomas Ingram married Elizabeth McOuat of Drymen Parish Scotland
Margaret married John McOuat of Drymen Parish, Scotland (Brother of Eliz McOuat)
In my previous note, when I said they married from here I meant they married in Canada - sorry. Spouses were born in Scotland but they married in Canada.
There are oodles and oodles of McOuats - Scottish who came to Canada - a proliferous bunch!! They are in my tree on my paternal grandmother's line.

I wish I could be clearer about James and Rachel but I am working with very little. His father was reported in one tree unvetted as First John Pollock and maybe connected to Sir Robert Pollock(Baronet in 1707) but unvetted.

Thanks again.

Hugh

Liz Turner
Global Moderator

Post by Liz Turner » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:34 pm

Hugh

Sorry you didn't have any more luck.

You mention Drymen - that is in Stirlingshire, not Renfewshire, so perhaps somewhere else to look.

Liz