Another PACKMAN - can you help?

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

ellenavon

Another PACKMAN - can you help?

Post by ellenavon » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:06 pm

Hello again everyone.

I've another elusive Packman here. Could use some help in tracing him post 1859 please.

JOSEPH PACKMAN.

Born 1831 to Joseph Packman and wife Mary O'Brien, @ Bellie, Banffshire/Moray.

1841 and 1851 @ Nether Dallachy, Bellie with parents and siblings. 1851 he is an Ag Lab.

Oct 1850 - illegitimate daughter Mary Kennedy Packman born @ Inverkeillor, Angus to Agnes Ritchie. Mary christened 03 Jul 1851 and brought up by mother.

1853 - illegitimate son Adam Packman born @ Grange, Banffshire to Jane Jack. Adam brought up by mother.

08 May 1859 - illegitimate son Alexander McKenzie or Packman born @ Rathven, Banffshire to Ann McKenzie. Alexander brought up by mother.

All children have been traced throughout their lives and no further sign of dad Joseph with any of these families.

After leaving this trail of destruction Joseph disappears off the face of the earth - I'm not surprised - he was probably avoiding the alimony payments :roll:

Its not a common name, but I can find very few potential candidates across the world.

Three queries I have come across are:

1. There are two passenger list entries for a Joseph Packman b. c 1838. One arriving Philadelphia 1851 and one arriving New York 1868 -but they're not him as this one is Irish, then American. On the 1851 one he is travelling with what appears to be a brother John age 21, but my Joseph's elder brother John, who was a bit older anyway, died in 1846. So these are ruled out.

2. There's a death in England, Prestwich, Lancashire, Dec Qtr, 1877 of a Joseph Packman b. c1825. I can find no trace of him in the censuses, but a possibility.

3. Through Google I found an article in the (New Zealand) North Otago Times Volume XX1X, Issue 5013, 20 Nov 1885, Page 1 regarding what looks to be a horse sale, or horse races.
"Carraige Horse GRATIS......... imported from Melbourne by Joseph Packman Esq at considerable expense" I have no idea how to go about finding anything further on this New Zealand possible!

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Ellen.
Researching: Grant; MacIntosh; Wright; Parley; Souter; Jaffray; Sangster; all North East & Speyside and Sutherland, Glasgow then Sutherland County; Buchanan, Stirlingshire; Lamond, North East; Stronach, Morayshire to name but a few!

Currie

Post by Currie » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:39 am

Hello Ellen,

Re the New Zealand bit.
If you go to PapersPast http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast and search for Joseph Packman as a phrase you get 480 hits. If you change the search options to just search articles there are 15 hits all in the Otago Witness 1873-1909. He’s dead by the time his youngest daughter Ellen marries in 1900. Looks like he died 1891 according to an article on 8th October and maybe subsequent appearances are a son.

Also check Familysearch http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... search.asp All Resources with Place as Scotland. The Pedigree Resources File looks very nice. Click the Submission Search and search for Packman etc.

Hope this helps,
Alan

ellenavon

Post by ellenavon » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:07 am

Alan - you're a star :D

After hours of searching last night I had found the marraige details of the two daughters Margaret and Ellen on the Otago Southland Marraiges Index, but of course was only assuming at the time that these were daughters of Joseph, but the Pedigree file seems to corroborrate that and gives me time frames for Joseph's life.

I'm fairly sure now that this is my chappie - will now need to get hold of the marraige and/or death cert to prove it for sure. Off to refind :roll: the NZ bmd site which I found last night, to work out how to try to order them.

Many thanks for your help.

Ellen.
Researching: Grant; MacIntosh; Wright; Parley; Souter; Jaffray; Sangster; all North East & Speyside and Sutherland, Glasgow then Sutherland County; Buchanan, Stirlingshire; Lamond, North East; Stronach, Morayshire to name but a few!