Gauze Street Paisley

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

melody

Gauze Street Paisley

Post by melody » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:30 am

Hello,
I was trying to look at the residents of Gauze street in Paisley in 1841, however on Scotland's People I can only search by name, not address. My Campbell family lived in Paisley up 'till 1838 when John's death is recorded in the parish records, but the rest of the family had moved to Parkhouse Lane, Glasgow by 1841.I tried on freecen by trying pages of common surnames, but can't luck in and find anyone living on Gauze street, and can't get the search engine on that site to just search by street. Gauze street still exists and runs right by the Abbey, but I was trying to figure out where # 4 would of been. I live in Canada but got to Paisley last year. If the street numbers have not changed a lot then #4 may of been located where the city hall is now. I was hoping to see what the house or building numbers on Gauze street may of been.
thanks for any suggestions,
Melody
mlm

Tracey
Global Moderator

Re: Gauze Street Paisley

Post by Tracey » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:26 am

Gauze Street is mentioned in an old post on here

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3401

1841 cens 559 Ed 27 pp 1,2 (Abbey)
Gauze Street, Paisley.

Go to freecen - I put in Walter Russell name (he is only 4 months old so easy to spot) from the above family and then just click *next or previous household* should take you along the street.

* There are no door numbers a such. The first house is unoccupied and the second household named is a Findlay McFadyen* The above Russell household is only six households away from the start or the *unoccupied house*. Hope i havnt confused you!
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings

Currie

Post by Currie » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:41 am

Hello Melody,

The National Library of Scotland has many of their directories on the Internet Archive. Here are some for Paisley. They aren’t all in year order. http://www.archive.org/search.php?query ... pe%3Atexts

Here’s Fowler's Paisley Commercial Directory for 1838-39. If you search within the document for gauze hopefully most will turn up. The buildings in Gauze Street seem to have numbers. There’s a street guide on page 9 which I haven’t quite figured out. Comparing them to the 1841 street at FreeCen may give more clues as to numbering. Maybe there’s something on the header page at SP. http://www.archive.org/stream/fowlerspa ... arch/gauze

There was a recent thread about Glasgow street numbering, see also the link within that to an earlier thread. Glasgow adopted the odds one side evens the other system about 1826. Whether or not Paisley was as quick off the mark as Glasgow is the question. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16021&hilit=

You may have to look at some of the later directories as well as at a very early map just in case Gauze Street has been shortened or lengthened or renumbered at some stage of the game. I don’t know how many 1830s buildings would still exist in Gauze Street.

Hope that helps,
Alan

nancy

Post by nancy » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:55 am

Hi Melody,I still live in Paisley and can check anything at Library if you wish.Today is a holiday but I can do it tomo for you.
I know the street numbers changed in 1923,but apart from that Gauze st has changed considerably.I hve checked out a few streets at library for members on Paisley.org and quite enjoy doing it.
Let me know later and I can check tomo for you,it keeps me oot the road of the BUSES,LOL LOL

Cheers nancy

melody

Post by melody » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:14 pm

Thank you all so much, really appreciated,

Tracey,
I have tried Walter 4 months and James 18y from that Russell family on freecen for Paisley 1841 and can't find either one. Must be doing something wrong.

Alan,
I will check out those directories.

Nancy,
-if you want to find out anything about Gauze street in the 1830's that would be wonderful. But only if you are bored to tears and have nothing else to do, or maybe you are like me, get stuck on what I'm looking for and have far more fun looking for someone else's. I am also trying to trace Mcleans from the Paisley area who probably immigrated to Canada 1820's with the Paisley Townhead society. I am drawing a blank on them. Also no reply from e-mailing the Abbey re: did anyone record the headstones before they knocked them all down. (They are not on the online lists of Paisley burials.)

you are all just the best, Mel
mlm

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:52 pm

Double checked (for my sanity !) and Walter Russell is there. If you want to search just put the name in and nothing else - no place , age ect...............and i always double check the year at the top as it is on 1891 by default - im at the begining of that age now where i have to double check everything :D
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings

nancy

Post by nancy » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:02 pm

Melody,as you say,sometimes taking a break from your own rellies Does You GOOD,LOL LOL
I will have a wee check at library within next few days and get back to you. :D

westender

Post by westender » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:52 pm

Hi Melody,

Nancy just rubbed the magic lamp to get me to appear ( she really e-mailed me ! ) LOL, anyway i have quite a few books on Paisley, maybe more than the local referance libary some would say !! and already have found a few mentions of the McLean family buried in Abbey Churchyard ( thats the official name that was given to the cemetery surrounding the Abbey )

list i have found is as follows taken from gravestones over various years

1) 1746. John Mclean, wife and children
2) John McLean tobacconist of Paisley died 7.10.1830 aged 43, wife Agnes McLean. children John Maxwell & Agnes bowie died in infancy
3) Perter Lawson, wife Cath McLean & Children 1810
4) 1736 AC. IW. Wm Boyle, wife Marion Speirs, son William whos wife was Agnes McLean and there son John whos wife was Margt Walkingshaw 5.3.1789

There is also McLean's buried in the following churchyards

Paisley Gaelic church, Paisley Canal Street ( First Relief ), Paisley Oakshaw East ( france's kirkyard ) and Paisley Woodside Cemetery. if you want me to look all these out let me know

nancy

Post by nancy » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:13 am

:o My That was quick WESTENDER,but so glad you could check records so quickly,hope this is of some help to you,Melody :wink:
Will still get library checked out :wink:

nancy

Post by nancy » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:34 pm

HI Melody,managed to Library today,but they weren't able to tell me whereabouts number 4 Gauze st would have been,but they found Walter in 41 census and a Peter Russell in trades directory at number 9,he was a BEAMER :D ,LOL
Hope this is of some help to you,will watch out for any old pics of the area.

Cheers nancy