Relatives to Henry Moncrieff Mclaren

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

MarliejeanmcL

Relatives to Henry Moncrieff Mclaren

Post by MarliejeanmcL » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:02 am

Hello everyone
I am new to the forum. I am looking for more information about my McLaren Family.
It starts with Neil McLaren b1810 married to Mary McKinnon b1814. They had two or three children. I know there has been some confusion about James McLaren and what I have learned is that he was a twin to Henry Moncrieff and died at age one. There may have been another son called Duncan and perhaps a daughter.
I am descendant of their son Henry Moncrieff McLaren b b1838 who was married twice. I am from his first marriage which was to Agnes Kennedy b1837.
She had 5 children and I am a descendant of her eldest son Duncan b1860 married to Anne Innes McLaren (yes she was also a McLaren) b1865. They married in Lisbon, Portugal where he managed a texile mill. He died of dye poisoning at age 41. So they would have been my great grandparents.

Henry Moncrieff McLaren b1838 remarried in 1867 to Agnes Boyd and subsequently had another 6 children who I know little about. I now have their names and have been in touch with a relative from that line who lives in Australia, but she hasn't sent me the information that she has found yet. Also there has been a lady on here Sheilajim who I have messaged who I believe is from that line as well. Unfortunately, I have not had any response from her yet.
My name is Marlie Jean McLaren Kelsey and I live on Vancouver Island, BC Canada
I hope to hear from you if you have any more information you can provide me with.
Hope you are all doing well and staying safe.

sheilajim

Re: Relatives to Henry Moncrieff Mclaren

Post by sheilajim » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:55 am

Hi Marie,

Welcome to Talking Scot ! :D \

. I hope that you got my message that I sent you a few days ago. I am ashamed that it took me so long to reply to you. :oops: W
We are descendants of the same Henry Moncrief McLaren, although I am descended from his "marriage" to his wife's niece Agnes Boyd. I know that he had a brother Duncan McLaren. I have some confusion from this ancestor. Maybe we can help each other out.

I see that you live on Vancouver Island. What a beautiful place that is! I am living in California, although I am originally from Montreal.

All the best

Sheila
Sheila

MarliejeanmcL

Post by MarliejeanmcL » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:01 pm

Hi Sheila
I am so happy to hear from you. I was getting concerned. My regular email is mjkelsey@hotmail.com and my cell is 250-416-5265. Regular email will probably be easier than the forum.
The lady in Australia is also from the same side as you and has sent me some information on her research, but I haven't had time to go through it yet.
I can tell you lots about my side, but know very little about yours.
Interestingly enough...my grandfather came to the west coast of Canada, but his brother, Alexander Lithgrow McLaren stayed in Montreal with his mother and grandmother (who was also a McLaren). He became a well known grahic artist and landscape artist and infact was the artist of the famous war poster, "We want you" (not sure if that was what it was titled) His daughter, Joyce Mclaren Kellock became a well known painter in Ontario. I also still have cousins living in Montreal. Two of Joyce's sons and their children are still there and the rest live in Ontario. We are the only McLarens in the west. Other cousins live in Nova Scotia, Vermont, California, Georgia, North Carolina.
I am looking forward to hearing back from you. Have you done Ancestry DNA? So interesting.
Marlie

sheilajim

Post by sheilajim » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:29 am

Hi Marie,

I have to look up my research on my McLarens and I will send what I have and know to you.
First my background: My Aunt Nessie (Agnes) McDonald, came to Montreal in 1919, my mother Letitia McDonald arrived in Nov. 1925. They lived out their lives in Montreal. My Mother's maternal grandmother was Mary McKinnon Mclaren, her father was Henry Moncrief McLaren and her mother was Agnes Kennedy Boyd. Agnes Kennedy Boyd was the niece of Agnes Kennedy.

Will try to get back to you tomorrow.

Best wishes

Sheila
Sheila