Cause of death for executed prisoners?

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

WilmaM

Cause of death for executed prisoners?

Post by WilmaM » Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:59 pm

Just a random thought.

What is the cause of death registered for prisoners who were hanged?

Prompted by the article SP published on Facebook today about Dr Edward Pritchard, who poisoned his wife and Mother-in-law and was the last man publicly hanged in Glasgow.
Wilma

Elwyn 1

Re: Cause of death for executed prisoners?

Post by Elwyn 1 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:29 pm

I think it varies . Joseph Fee from Clones was executed in Armagh Prison on 22.12.1904. The wording says: “Hanged by the neck till dead under sentence of death.” However John Moan who was executed in Londonderry on 5.1.1904 has: “Dislocation of the vertebrae of the neck by hanging. Instantaneous.”
Elwyn

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:43 pm

Wow, thanks for that Elwyn - wasn't really expecting examples!

TS at it's best - even ruminating out loud gets an answer.
Wilma

Currie

Post by Currie » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:10 am

The execution of Pritchard was reported in great detail in the newspapers of the time, every little twitch from the condemned as he hung there, every little reaction from the crowd. https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=U ... %2C1529096

From the wording of the cause of death of the Irish pair it would seem that John Moan got the best deal with the instantaneous death, whereas Joseph Fee took a while to expire.

It reminds me of a movie I watched recently, “Hang ‘em High” starring Clint Eastwood. The local judge was keen on hanging as he thought it brought civilisation to that part of the Old West. Their town had the very latest in gallows that could handle six at a time with just a single pull of the lever. A hanging event was considered great family entertainment as there wasn’t much else available.

Clint was a bit upset about two young teenagers being strung up as he didn’t think they deserved it. He decided there were better things to do than watch a hanging and grabbed hold of one of the local floozies and dragged her off to his hotel room. At least I think it was a hotel room.

Alan

garibaldired

Post by garibaldired » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:04 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
you've brightened up my evening, Alan.

Best wishes.
Meg