Source Citations

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

stevewd

Source Citations

Post by stevewd » Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:58 pm

Hi there,

Just new around these parts and newish to genealogy.

Started my family research around 10 years ago but stopped after losing most of it in a computer crash of epic proportions.

Started again a few months ago and have managed to get around 600 people on my tree 99% of which are verified as correct.

I use Family Tree Maker 2019 and have a middle of the road subscription to Ancestry (whilst I build the tree) and use Scotlands People a lot.

It’s with that I would like to ask peoples advice. The difference between saving as Source Citations or Media.

Obviously when I find a relatives register information on Scotlands People, I save it. I thereafter use it to add facts to their profile and attach the register entry as Media to the fact as proof of the finding. Should I be doing Source Citations instead of attaching them as media items as I notice when you link the media item to the Source Citation and upload it then to Ancestry the actual media item is not viewable.

WilmaM

Re: Source Citations

Post by WilmaM » Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:23 pm

Welcome to [talkingscot]

I think it all depends on whether you are doing this for your own enjoyment/interest or are wanting to share the information publicly.
If just for private and family interest I'd just continue as you are.
Presumably you have all your information safely stored and backed up [though SP does allow you to view the images again] so you can revisit at any point.

If you are opening your results to the wider public, then I'd probably list where you verified the information and keep the actual images private.

I'm not an expert in any way, as I've only just started using a computer tree programme - I much prefer the freedom of paper copies.

I'm sure others who are more tech savvy will advise.
Wilma