Poke hat

Stories memories and people

Moderators: Global Moderators, AnneM

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:37 pm

Hi Anne
Can anybody remember if all this was in the days before 'Mr. Whippy' came along
Ah, I remember Mr Whippy - east coast version though, so no hint of any wars. According to Wikipedia, Ice Cream Wars happened in 1980s,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasgow_Ice_Cream_Wars
.. so yes, the Mr Whippy I remember was before that... must have been late 1960s.

He used to come round in a van though - one of the high points of the week for me! Watching the ice cream come out of that machine thing, in a wonderful starry section was a real novelty. Play-doh kits did a similar thing around the same time I think - you could squeeze out star shaped sausages! It seemed much more entertaining than plastacine, though it smelt funny and dried out very quicky if you were not so good at remembering to put the lid on! :lol:

Best wishes
Lesley

kenspeckle

pokey hats

Post by kenspeckle » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:33 pm

YUMMM oh I can almost taste them.... we had the best ice cream and still there today is at Queens Cafe in Victoria Road Glasgow next to Queens Park but for a wee insight into the Tallies ect
http://www.scotsitalian.com/cafeandchippie.htm
regards lesley
researching : Roddick, Stewart, Combe,Lyle , Wilkie, Budge, Kirkwood,Howat, McKinlay, Gunning, Gumprecht, Mirrlees, Muckersie, Greig, Moncrieff, Pattison, Hornibrook, Teape, Brockhoff,Buchanan,

ellenavon

Post by ellenavon » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:29 pm

Hi all

I think the pokey hat thing was a "southern" (ie South of Scotland - not over the border!) expression. I didn't come across the expression till I met my Glaswegian husband.

You're bringing back great memories for me here. From the age of 13 to 16, I worked after school and at weekends at the "top tallies" in Grantown on Spey, for Toni D'Annunzio and his lovely family.

Top tallies refers to its location at the top of the High Street, as opposed to the "bottom tallies" which was located, surprisingly enough, at the bottom of the High Street :D The Top Tallies was of course far superior!

The home made ice cream was fab, and I'm surprised that I'm not like the end of a house now after the amount I consumed in those few short years.

Nowadays I just have to look at that kind of stuff to put on half a stone, so have to give it a miss. Good job there are no tallies around me now!

Ellen.
Researching: Grant; MacIntosh; Wright; Parley; Souter; Jaffray; Sangster; all North East & Speyside and Sutherland, Glasgow then Sutherland County; Buchanan, Stirlingshire; Lamond, North East; Stronach, Morayshire to name but a few!

Merlot
Global Moderator

Post by Merlot » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:53 pm

apanderson wrote:Or if you were really posh - an oyster.

Wee shell shaped wafers filled with a wee drop of the special nougat filling, then their edges dipped in chocolate and toasted coconut. The poshness went right out the window though when you asked for a squirt of strawberry sauce on it!!

Can anybody remember if all this was in the days before 'Mr. Whippy' came along - or was that what started the 'ice-cream wars' :wink:

Anne
An oyster was my favourite, never tried it with strawberry sauce though.

Mr Whippy -yum, however, Fred West drove a Mr Whippy van in the East End of Glasgow in the late 60's :shock:

Merlot
Researching:- Cameron, McMillan, Gray, McLean, More, Hastie, McLiver, Dunipace.....

nelmit

Re: pokey hats

Post by nelmit » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:18 am

kenspeckle wrote:YUMMM oh I can almost taste them.... we had the best ice cream and still there today is at Queens Cafe in Victoria Road Glasgow next to Queens Park but for a wee insight into the Tallies ect
http://www.scotsitalian.com/cafeandchippie.htm
regards lesley
I was lucky enough to live round the corner from them and took my son there for his first knickerbocker glory on his 1st birthday (I had to have one too as it was my 31st). Definitely the best ice cream on the south side.
Regards,
Annette

dizzybint

Re: Poke hat

Post by dizzybint » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:02 pm

nothing to do with Italian name it s was the name given to any bag to put food in .. in shops they used to wind paper into a cone shape and referred always to it as a poke.. but it was a pokie or pokey hat for ice cream...

dizzybint

Post by dizzybint » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:02 pm

The best ice cream ever was Peter Rossi on London road..

joette
Global Moderator

Post by joette » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:12 pm

Are we talking Peter's cafe near to the Barrows? If we are oh the memories. :D :-({|=
Researching:SCOTT,Taylor,Young,VEITCH LINLEY,MIDLOTHIAN
WADDELL,ROSS,TORRANCE,GOVAN/DALMUIR/Clackmanannshire
CARR/LEITCH-Scotland,Ireland(County Donegal)
LINLEY/VEITCH-SASK.Canada
ALSO BROWN,MCKIMMIE,MCDOWALL,FRASER.
Greer/Grier,Jenkins/Jankins

Rockford

Re:

Post by Rockford » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:23 am

Andrew C. wrote:I asked my mother her opinion (rarely a good idea) .... She thought Capokey where an Italian family from Hamilton however I'm with the others who think Capochi Man was a generic term and where 'pochi or pokey hat came from however this may be a coincidence.
Hi Andrew,

You might need to eat some humble pie (with ice cream!) as it seems that your Mum was right! Meet the Capocci Man...

http://www.hamiltonadvertiser.co.uk/new ... -26100595/

Best wishes

Brian
SMITH - Luss/Lanarkshire
BURNSIDE - Londonderry/Lothian
SWEENEY - Donegal/Monklands
GILCHRIST - Lanark/Lothians/Peebles
HUNTER/GWYNNE - Monklands/Fife/Stirling
LOGIE/DUNLOP/YOUNG/THOMSON - Lothian

Fiona C

Post by Fiona C » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:53 pm

Annette

My family think I'm weird because, when we have rhubarb, I always eat a piece raw and dipped in sugar. I love it!! I too used to get the corner of a brown paper poke with sugar and raw rhubarb as a child.

My grown up children (born & brought up in England) know exactly what a "pokey hat" is, as their Granda always used to buy packets of cones and make them one when they visited.

We used to buy ours as children, from either the Park Cafe in Whiteinch or the Commodore Cafe in Scotstoun - both on Dumbarton Road.

Happy days!!

Fiona