Scottish Pound v English Pound

Stories memories and people

Moderators: Global Moderators, AnneM

Davie

Post by Davie » Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:01 pm

On several occasions I have had my Scottish bank notes refused in England, but never a problem in Spain.
However, I have also seen several businesses in Glasgow refusing Ulster bank notes.

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:22 pm

I work in Central London and we accept Scottish notes - no reason not to, its almost equal to not accepting cheques from banks based in Scotland - and i have never had a problem using them anywhere (so far !)
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings

Bertha

scottish notes

Post by Bertha » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:32 pm

I work for a well known bank and for years have had my Scottish notes accepted in England. However, on going to Tunisia, I had just taken a few scots 5's and 10's for the taxi when we got home, using my ATM card there. However, in the airport I couldn't find an ATM and was surprised my Scots £10 was accepted and not only that I got a Scots 5 back!!
The till was full of them!
Bertha
looking for
Nelson/Neilson,Wood,McDonald,Baillie - East Lothian
McLaren,Ross,Kelly,McEwan,Nicholson,Price/Pryce,Telfer,Robertson, Dickson/Dixon, Gibson,Niven Edinburgh

STUARTDALGLEISH

Post by STUARTDALGLEISH » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:37 pm

I work down in Nottingham quite often and as usual I always forget something, toothbrush/paste, razor the usual stuff. Once when in a small corner shop I was trying to pay for some crisps and Juice with a scottish fiver. This was the first time I had ever been told they don't accept scottish money as the had been "stung" with forged notes before. I open the can and the crisps and told them to call the police.........guess what... they soon took the money. It's happened twice since then in the past few years so ask them to get the police and they soon take the money.

Cheers

Stuart
LOOKING FOR JACK, CAMERON, HISLOP/HYSLOP, DOWDS/DODD, ROSS, ROSE

David Douglas

Post by David Douglas » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:15 pm

I've just noticed this post. I was reminded of the mid-80's when I was travelling in Germany with my sister. She tried to change some £10 Clydesdale notes - the ones with David Livingstone on the front, and on the back a scene from the desert - Arabs sitting on camels, and black slaves in chains sitting under a date palm. You can imagine the confusion at a local bank branch in Lübeck. "Was? Afrika?! Nein, nein!"

My sister tried to convince the bank assistant that they were Scottish notes, but he was having none of it.

In general, banks abroad will not buy Scottish notes. One bank in the centre of Copenhagen did, however offer to take them off my hands at 90% of face value. If that was the case, I responded, I'd happily buy any Scottish notes they had, at, say, 95%. Sad to say, they refused!