New Boots

Stories memories and people

Moderators: Global Moderators, AnneM

JimM

New Boots

Post by JimM » Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:44 pm

The poor relief records can be a very important source of information but they can also give us an insight of how our forebears lived.
This is from a recently uncovered record, my grandfather James was 10 years old and had been given a new pair of boots by the relief committee. The inspector paid a visit...........

5pm 29/4/07 Visited. Recipient out, son James said she was at work with Mr Pearson 347 Gt. Eastern road. Went there to find she has not been at work today, she earns 7/- weekly.
James is wearing an old pair of boots, when questioned as to the new ones granted 18th march he says they are being repaired - I am of the opinion they are in the pawn.

4pm 30/4/07 Visited. recipient produced boots from box and said they were there yesterday, I don't believe this. I suspect she reclaimed them this forenoon.
James said the side was knocked out of one, they have been very little worn.
Asked to attend committee, she said she supposed she would do without parish relief now and would not attend.

Committee 30/4/07 Not present.
Off roll, ticket given in

Looks like my gr grandmother got caught out by the inspector...... wonder if James ever got his boots or if they went straight back into the pawn?
researching
McIntyre, Menzies, Cowley, Pearson, Copland, McCammond, Forbes, Edgar etc. in Scotland
Skinner in Northumberland

Rab

Post by Rab » Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:17 pm

That's great stuff. Poor James was losing out either way unfortunately.

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:23 pm

A few of my favourites.............. especially the descriptions. One which isnt on here describes my gt x3 grandfather as a Scavenger ! But really they make very sad reading one can only imagine what it must have been like at the time. I wonder what the Hair Man was ? Was Mary my gtx3 in such a state or was she crawling with lice ?
This is but a snippet i have loads more thanks to Heather aka Angel who i am extreemly greatful to for all her time spent on finding these.
And yes your right there are a few children born to these that i wouldnt have known about if i didnt have these.

Application made 26 November 1872 at 10.30am – applied for by his wife
William Donaldson
Craigellshie Close [off High Street]
b. Rathven
Protestant
27 November 1872 home visit
Married
Age 54
Labourer

Partially Disabled – certified by Medical Officer as being troubled with his water :?
Mary Shaw or Donaldson age 50
James age 13
Peter age 11
Alexander age 9 ½
John age 5

This man has been struck off the roll of poor or parish of Rathven and has again applied. Has 4 off a family at home, the oldest a daughter earning when able 1/- per day at nursery, next a son at Tan Works at 3/- per week, next earns 2/6 per week going messages. Two other do nothing and are supposed to be at school. Pauper complains about ill health and half of his disease appears to be laziness. He occupies a dreadful den of dirt and confusion. :D
27 November 1872 reported to Rathven no relieve given. Claim on Rathven.

Application made on 4 January 1874 T 12.40PM
William Donaldson
55 High Street
b. Rathven
Protestant
Home visit 4 January 4.15pm
Married
Age 53
Labourer
Partially disabled – internal ailments
Mary Shaw wife age 51

This man requested to see the Medical Officer and in consequence I have disregarded the application. Struck off the roll of Rathven paupers in December 1872 but has a few diseases ranging about him. :-k

Refused by the inspector. Approved by the board – because applicant would not go to see the Medical Officer.

Application made at 9.20am 1 April 1876
Mary Shaw or Donaldson
Per William Minty Sheriff Officer
55 High Street
B. Kilmallie R. Protestant

Home visit 10.40am 1 April 1876
Widow
Age about 55
Housewife
?Cold? general debility partially disabled

Settlement, Rathven who discontinued after letter 13 March last. She subsequently applied to the sheriff who ordered relief as per copy ? and deliverance dates the 27th March. So far as my experience goes this is an unusual proceeding and I was greatly taken aback by it. I immediately gave the applicant [personally] an order to the house, which however she refused. I also gave by direction of the a hair- man, :shock: sent a copy of the document specified above to Rathven and asked instructions . James Ettles Inspector .

Gave Donaldson in order to the house [which she refused] and intimates the proceedings to Rathven and asked instructions.

Application made at 3.30pm October 14
Mary Shaw or Donaldson
27 High Street
b. Kilmallie r. Protestant
Home visit October 4.15pm
Widow-age69-housewife
Wholly disabled-bronchitis

Confined to bed for eight days and in her usual chronic state of destitution. Daughter Elizabeth newly discharged from Hospital after being there for ten weeks. Other members of her family as unwilling as they are unable to maintain her.
Elizabeth in bad health & Rathven 24
Margaret Factory worker 24 [note Mary seems be called Margaret]
James Factory worker 20
Peter Labourer [a rough cad] 18 :wink: :wink:
Alexander an idle [useless cad] 16 :wink:

Relived 3/- settlement and cash readmitted Rathven per letter October 1880
Approved
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:23 pm

Hi folks

In an previous incarnation I worked in Welfare Rights for 6 years and believe me attitudes to the poor and particularly those in need of state assistance have not changed as much as you would like to think in 100+ years!! You should read some of the doctors' reports on benefits claimants for the entertainment value.

Anne
Anne
Researching M(a)cKenzie, McCammond, McLachlan, Kerr, Assur, Renton, Redpath, Ferguson, Shedden, Also Oswald, Le/assels/Lascelles, Bonning just for starters