Food & Memories

Stories memories and people

Moderators: Global Moderators, AnneM

Jack

Post by Jack » Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:25 pm

Hi Davie,

I've still got one of those vacuum tubes - all brass with hard rubber at both ends. I'm an awfy hoarder!

JacK

AnnetteR

Post by AnnetteR » Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:30 pm

Hi Davie

I remember well using the Vacuum Tubes when I worked in a store called Dallas's at the Coocaddens hunners eh years ago. You would put your sales slip and the money inside the tube turn it so that it closed and then WOOOSSHHHH - up the pipe it went. It was terrible on a Saturday cos you had to wait ages for it to come back down. I don't think people would have the patience these days to stand around waiting all that time for their change.

Whatever happened to Dallas's I wonder :roll:

Cheers

Annette R
-----------------------------------------------------
Researching in Fife: Wilson, Ramsay, Cassels/Carswell, Lindsay, Millar, Bowman and many others.
In Glasgow and West of Scotland: Aitchison, Wilkinson, Keenan, Black, Kinloch and Leiper.

CatrionaL

Post by CatrionaL » Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:37 pm

Yes, Davie

They used to fascinate me, especially since I was a wee lassie frae the country and only saw them in action on visits tae the big city.

I've been in several large shops and Post Offices recently, where they're using that system again.

By the way you might know the names of some of the Gents outfitters in the centre of Glasgow, 1940-1990.

Jack
You must be a Family researcher's dream, quite apart from all your hard work on the census :D Our family, unfortuanately, were not hoarders, but thrower outers. :roll:

All the best
Catriona

Rosie K

Post by Rosie K » Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:02 pm

many years ago we used to look after a neighbours dog, my eldest daughter loves dogs and has always had one, but she did not like this dog and it was really friendly. The neighbour asked her why she didn't like the dog and she replied "it's tongue looks like spam" needless to say she never ever ate spam, by the way she was only 6 at the time--many years ago.

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:06 pm

I used to work with the vacuum tubes to the 'counting house' as Watt Brothers grandly termed it :?

I scared me rigid the first time I had to use it 8-[ but at least it meant that I only had to check 'they' had sent the correct change - not count it out myself :)

[ and that was only in the 1980's - before you start thinking I'm elderly ;)]

To get back to the original topic:

I haven't had tongue for ages you've put me in the notion.

Every time I smell gooseberry jam being made, I'm transported back to my wee old Auntie's in Enniskillen Co Fermanagh - I must have been under 4 years old at the time - but the smell conjuers her kitchen up instantly.
Wilma

StewL

Post by StewL » Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:01 am

Hello Joette
I am afraid we didnt go to Faifley school at the same time, well not in the same class I just turned 53 :roll: . I went to Dalmuir Infants School for about a year I think, then went to Faifley Infants, I remember being peeved off because I was put in the infants school, I thought when we flitted to Faifley I would go to the older wains class :lol: I can only remember Miss Gemmel and another red haired teacher who's mother was my teacher in Dalmuir Infants and of course my older sisters teacher :D We emigrated in 1963 due to my health. Thats why I learned the basics of cooking to keep me from under my mums feet when I was sick, which was often in winter :lol:

I recall the tongue as well, mum didnt have a proper press either and used plates and weights, I havent had it for years. :cry:
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

ellenavon

Post by ellenavon » Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:09 pm

You can tell you lot are all city folks with those great big co-opie numbers! I'm from the highlands and ours was 672. I'm afraid I'm not the youngest to remember mine, as I hit the big 50 next month. ssh... don't tell anyone.

Just sent hubbies brains pickling as he tried to remember theirs - 91 eh......! He's finally remembered it was 91359. He's from Ralston, Glasgow.

Cheers

Ellen.
Researching: Grant; MacIntosh; Wright; Parley; Souter; Jaffray; Sangster; all North East & Speyside and Sutherland, Glasgow then Sutherland County; Buchanan, Stirlingshire; Lamond, North East; Stronach, Morayshire to name but a few!

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:29 pm

My Mum's Co-op divi number was 94649 (Saint Cuthbert's Co-operative Association - more commonly known as "The Store")

All the best

Andrew Paterson (age 41)

joette
Global Moderator

Food & Memories

Post by joette » Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:48 pm

Stew I think the Teacher you are trying to remember is Mrs Duncan.As Miss Duncan she was my Dads infant teacher at Dalmuir.Then she married & became Mrs Duncan.Her husband was killed in the War & she was Head Of Infants when my sister went there.I remember the red-hair.I knew she had had a child who must have been your Teacher.
I remember the Coop in Clydebank"the Big Store" to Bankies,had one of those whoosy things until fairly recently.
Sorry your bad health took you to Australia hope it did the trick.
My Brother has a friend called Frank Stewart with family in Oz-any relation? Mum has Portefield neighbours any connection?
As for a proper press for the tongue how posh is that.
Not forgetting the all-time comfort food & treat of childhood TINNED TOMATO SOUP & it has to be one of the 57 variety.When you had had "gas" at the dentist home with a hot water bottle/electric blanket.Ice cream,Lucozade or Ferguzade & then tomato soup.
Funny how we considered tinned food a "treat"
Researching:SCOTT,Taylor,Young,VEITCH LINLEY,MIDLOTHIAN
WADDELL,ROSS,TORRANCE,GOVAN/DALMUIR/Clackmanannshire
CARR/LEITCH-Scotland,Ireland(County Donegal)
LINLEY/VEITCH-SASK.Canada
ALSO BROWN,MCKIMMIE,MCDOWALL,FRASER.
Greer/Grier,Jenkins/Jankins

StewL

Post by StewL » Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:18 pm

Hello Joette

I will check with my sister about the teachers name, she would remember.

Yes as soon as we came to Aust I never had problems, so it sorted it out.

I am not sure of a Frank Stewart, and I am not sure if any of our Stewarts emigrated to Aust, an auntie went to Canada in the 1920's, but she was much older than my mother, she was the eldest and mum was the youngest by about 20 years.

I only have one Porterfield in my lot so far, and that was a Janet Porterfield who married Daniel Laurie about 1850 in Glasgow. I havent been able to find much except her parents on her death certificate
:D :D
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson