September births.....

Stories memories and people

Moderators: Global Moderators, AnneM

Rach

September births.....

Post by Rach » Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:51 pm

This is my final query for the year!
An email from an Australian contact made me laugh today - he wondered if I had noticed that there was a high rate of births in September in Coldingham over the years he has been researching and was this the same all over Scotland? Maybe others have noticed peaks at this time?
Could it be something to do with the 'spirit' of Christmas/New Year? Any thoughts on this?
Thanks TS for your friendly ideas and advice over the short period I have been a member. Best wishes to all for 2006.
Rae

m
Names of interest: Perthshire- Taylor, McDonald, McRaw, Gould; Caithness- Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland; Berwickshire- Darling, Johnson, Whitlie, Forrest/Forrester/Foster, Barns/Barnes,Buglass/Bookless; Wilson, Thorburn, Cowe, Laing, Rae, Colven, Collin,

Russell

Post by Russell » Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:13 pm

There may be something in that Rae!

Lookin out to the street behind me A friend living there shares my birthday 8 Sept. Until recently looking out to the neighbour across my street she too shared my birthday ( albeit she was much older and is with us no more sadly).
Trying to establish a link I realised that until relatively recently the only Scottish holiday was New Year. In England it was Christmas day. Even my erratic ability counting fingers could make some links with that data.

Your Aussie contact has probably made an astute observation there!!!

Russell

CatrionaL

Post by CatrionaL » Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:24 pm

In a certain Border town that shall be nameless, the birth rate tends to rise in February.

:shock: Oh! So that's why we have all these February births in the family!

Catriona

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:37 am

Even today the nurses will tell you that September is the busiest month in the maternity wards....lol!

StewL

Post by StewL » Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:04 am

Well you know what those cold December/January nights can be like :lol:
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson