Glesca Patter 1

Stories memories and people

Moderators: Global Moderators, AnneM

Moonwatcher

Glesca Patter 1

Post by Moonwatcher » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:28 pm

Glesca Patter 1

First Posted 28 September 2003

From time to time on the forum certain words, phrases and poems appear that echo that dialect peculiar to Glasgow. Whilst these may produce reactions of amusement, nostalgia, or disdain, I suspect many people are simply bewildered. So I thought, as a native Glaswegian, I might attempt to throw some light on the matter by offering some guidelines on one of the most daunting of local dialects - ‘The Glesca Patter’.

Many of you researching your Scottish ancestors will have traced them back to ‘working class’ industrial Glasgow of the 1800s and early 1900s. Places like the Gorbals, Govan, Townhead (‘Toonheed’) and that oldest of industrial Glasgow’s tenement settlements, the Garngad (now known as Royston). These were the incubators for what was to become the Patter that still thrives today and your ancestors would almost certainly have spoken it to some degree.

Generations of Glaswegians have done a real hatchet job on the english language. Sentences, words and letters are compacted down till they scream for mercy. Words, letters and sounds are changed, removed or added, a raw humour is often injected into the mix, then the whole thing is rattled out at a speed that would leave Concorde standing on the runway (come to think of it Concorde IS standing on the runway!)

The result is a dialect like no other, instantly recognisable all over the world. When standing in Times Square last year, totally confused and frustrated as to how to get to my destination, I lapsed into my native tongue when talking to my wife. An American lady came over “I just love that accent” she cried “ You folks from Glasgow?” (She pronounced it Glasgouw as in cow!) She then helped us with directions and got us talking more Patter before going on her way. We made her day! Everybody recognises the ‘Glesca accent’ although not everyone can understand it, or keep up with it.

Given all of the above please appreciate how difficult it is to put the dialect on paper. Saying is much easier than writing, but I’ll do my best. So, now for the first lesson. Tighten your seatbelts and listen up because I might ask questions later :)

First, let’s start with a few Glesca phrases;

1. ‘Away an bile yer heed’
2. ‘Diz yoor mammy know yer oot?’
3. ‘Pick yer windae yer leavin!’

These are classic Glesca put downs (pootdoons). For those moments when you’ve just had enough of some one’s behaviour or rantings. Translation;

1. "Away and boil your head." Doesn’t quite have the same effect in english does it? So don’t try it, you’ll just get laughed at. But say it in the Glesca dialect to any Glaswegian and they’ll get the message. Don’t ask me what it actually means or where it comes from - I haven’t a clue.

2. “Does your mother know you’re out by yourself?” Again loses something in the translation but a great one for that irritating sod who’s getting on your nerves. Insinuates they are childish and require parental guidance. This can be a real showstopper at senior management meetings. Not a good career move though, believe me!

3. “Pick your window you’re leaving” Subtle threat for use in a pub. It translates quite well into english but make sure you’re up to the task before you open your mouth. Also be prepared to pay ‘fur the broken windae’.

A-Z Glossary

a -
replaces the word ‘of’ as in “Two pints a mulk (milk)”

ah -
means ‘I’ as in “Ah wiz oot wae Jimmy” (I was out with Jimmy)

am ur -
means ‘I am’ as in response to “Yer no gaun” (You’re not going). “Aye am ur” (Yes I am).

at -
often replaces the word ‘that’ as in “Pass meh at hammer” (Pass me that hammer). Now, it needs to be noted that the ‘t’ is most often left out, replaced by a glottal sound, confusing the unfamiliar ear even further!

aw -
replaces the word ‘all’ as in “At’s aw yer gettin aff a me” (That’s all you’re getting off of me) or it can be substituted for ‘as well’ as in “Ah want tae come an aw” (I want to come as well) Note that pronunciation of ‘want’ is as in ‘cant’.

So, ur yer heeds nippin yit? Ah’ll stoap ther fur noo.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Patter 2 Tommorrow

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:36 am

Great job.I thought ma faither was in th' room.I don't know what "away and bile yer heed " means in translation either.But when Dad said it we knew he had had enough of his beloved bairns and it would be best to find something to do elsewhere.Looking forward to tomorrows lesson. :D
HK

Ina
Global Moderator

Post by Ina » Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:41 am

Well done Moonwatcher. Glad to see you back. I love reading your posts.

Ina

BillyF

away an bile yir heid

Post by BillyF » Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:04 pm

Hi guys , I know when ma mob said it to me it meant a wiz talking from the potty. So telt go an bile yir heid , tae clean it oot.
Well a hope thats wit they wir tellim mae
billy
researching the Fleming,Bennett,Brannigan,Mooney,McIlroy, Stewart & Gamble families

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:14 pm

Moonwatcher,

Are you any relation to Andy Cap(p)?

Catriona

Moonwatcher

Post by Moonwatcher » Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:26 pm

Catriona,

Relationship tae Andy Capp?

Naw! But ah think ther's merr thin jist a passin link wae Daphne Broon! :D

Bob.

Jean Jeanie
Global Moderator

Post by Jean Jeanie » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:34 pm

Away an bile yer heid made me remember one of my faither's sayings, when giving us a telling off. He used to say "you dae that agen an a'll make ye laugh on the ither side o your face"

What the h... does that mean?

Any ideas?

Jean Jeanie

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:52 pm

Bob

Hoo's Daphne Broon daen nooadays? Ah remember when the Broons 'a tried tae lern French tae speak tae her lad. He turned oot tae be a french polisher fae Glasgow.

That's life.

Catriona

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:20 pm

Funny you should mention that particular strip about Daphne.When my better half did I the mouse with a cup of tea earlier we had to move the mouse pad too.I grabbed the nearest book to see If I could at least get to log out of the forum.It was The Broons.It also has the one where they get new roller shades for the But an' Ben only to find they have The Cosy Cafe' on the outside.How we looked forward to Christmas when our cousins would send The Broons and Oor Wullie.It was our we taste of home,that and short bread.All my kids have read the old copies and love them as much as I do. :D HK