Some you win , some you lose

Stories memories and people

Moderators: Global Moderators, AnneM

mallog

Some you win , some you lose

Post by mallog » Wed May 17, 2006 6:23 am

I wasn't sure where to post this but wanted to share my sad tale with someone. I went on a trip to Bute yesterday and thought I would look up some addresses. As the last person died in 1951 I thought I had a good chance of finding them.
The first street was intact apart from a gap where two houses once stood - one of them being the one I was looking for. Oh well no problem still got another two to look up.
The next street was nearer the centre of the town and no gaps visible. I confidently got out the car with my camera in hand, walked down the street looking for no. 18 and found the nos went from 20 to 16 !!?? I tried to make enquiries wiith neighbours but nobody seemed at home.
The last address was out of town. I had difficulty finding it and asked some very helpful locals who were a mine of information. We had to take a winding road up a hill which should only have been attempted by a four wheel drive. I found an old gate and the name plate was lying behind it. My spirits lifted and I could see the house at the top of the hill. However when I made enquiries with the owners I found out the house had been built in 1901 and my ancestor died in 1893 so it couldn't be his. I was really disappointed although I did get the feel of the place and the area would be as it was.
The graveyard was extensive and that will have to wait till I get some information on where the graves are.
I have to say the day wasn't entirely lost as we then drove over to Dunoon and spent the evening with some relations of the living breathing variety !
Anybody else want to share their tale of woe ??

Mallog
Anderson, McAlpine, Blue - Argyll
Dunn Fife /ML
Coutts, McGregor - Perth/Govan
Glen, Crow, Imrie - Angus
Scott & Pick ML
Mason - Co Down

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Wed May 17, 2006 3:10 pm

My condolences, Mallog.
Sounds like my maternal grandmother, who seems to prefer to remain a mystery (she died at my mother's birth, so we never knew her). Systematically, every place she ever lived has been demolished or whisked off into outer space. One was replaced by a new city government building that takes up the entire block, one turned out to be the parking lot for McDonald's :shock: and another, in a quiet street with a row of old houses that really got my hopes up... the only empty lot.

Sarah

joette
Global Moderator

Post by joette » Wed May 17, 2006 3:34 pm

Decided that as my GGGGreat-Grandparents were living in Old Town in Edinburgh then the chances were the house may still be there.Their address was on their very precious Marriage Proclimation from 1824 which has fared better than some more modern certificates.
Anyway confidently found the St.-houses looked about right age.Counted out the Nos& yes you've guessed it the only one missing 24 was mine!
Same with GGrandparents house in Penicuik-gone with adjacent buildings around it.
The only luck I have had is the house where I was born is still around & I used to babysit where my Grandfather was born & raised & is now gone.
So I have a mental picture of how my Great-Grandparents lived up what was then a "posh" close.
They have just demolished where my Father was born-finally Clydebank is tearing down its Blitz damaged housing stock & had I taken a photo despite living in Dalmuir for thirty odd years????NOOO!
Researching:SCOTT,Taylor,Young,VEITCH LINLEY,MIDLOTHIAN
WADDELL,ROSS,TORRANCE,GOVAN/DALMUIR/Clackmanannshire
CARR/LEITCH-Scotland,Ireland(County Donegal)
LINLEY/VEITCH-SASK.Canada
ALSO BROWN,MCKIMMIE,MCDOWALL,FRASER.
Greer/Grier,Jenkins/Jankins

mallog

Post by mallog » Wed May 17, 2006 5:49 pm

Good to hear I'm not alone, thank you girls! I was beginning to think they had all given false names and addresses. Mind you the first house I remember living in is now a police station and all the other houses in the street still standing - so no change there. Good tip Joette we should go around taking photos of where we once lived even though it might feel a bit daft.
Mallog
Anderson, McAlpine, Blue - Argyll
Dunn Fife /ML
Coutts, McGregor - Perth/Govan
Glen, Crow, Imrie - Angus
Scott & Pick ML
Mason - Co Down