Glesca Patter 2

Stories memories and people

Moderators: Global Moderators, AnneM

Moonwatcher

Glesca Patter 2

Post by Moonwatcher » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:44 pm

Glesca Patter 2

First posted 5 October 2003

Thanks everyone for the feedback. As long as it remains lighthearted I’m happy to oblige. First, a few points on that feedback.

I’m grateful to BeatOswald for the extended version of ‘Away an bile yer heid’ (or heed). I’d never heard that before and reckon it must be close to the original. But typically, Glesca folk must have found it too long a phrase, so they just chopped off the second bit and let it stand as that.

Erritserr! (There it’s there!) Jim, now you come to mention it, that may have been the phrase that attracted the attention of the American lady I spoke of last week.

Jeely Pieces. Oh Judy, what memories that stirs up!

“Haw Mammy, gauny chuck iz doon a piece!”
A headscarfed head would appear from the second story tenement window.
“Whit! Anither yin? Dae ye think am made a pieces?”
“Aw pleeze Mammy. Mah pal hiznae goat wan an eez hungry.”
“Awrite haud oan!”
A few minutes later a small package wrapped in newspaper or waxy bread wrapper (Mother’s Pride was a common brand) would come flying out the window and set me and my pal running about like someone on a cricket pitch trying to catch it before it hit the ground. Catching skills were even more important if the wrapper had been omitted or blew off! I was among the last of the Jeely Piece catchers. With the demise of the tenements and the exodus out of the city to the sprawling housing schemes of Easterhouse, Castlemilk and Drumchapel the practise eventually died out. It died out instantly for those who found themselves in the high rise flats! A song written in the 60s (The Jeely Piece Song) captured the essence of all this. More of that later.

The ‘piece’ most often launched out the window was of the jam variety although lard was seemingly popular as well (yuck!) Incidently, ‘A piece’ also referred to your sandwiches/packed lunch that you took to school or work.
“Ah forgoat mah playpiece!” (I forgot my packed lunch for playtime)

Okay, on to our A-Z. Let’s have a look at some ‘Bs’.

back -
The ‘back coort’ (back court) of the tenement, where most of the piece chucking went on. Also refers to the period just after the hour on the clock. “Ah’ll meet ye at the back a five.” (I will meet you sometime after five o clock).

backie -
To let someone ride with you on the back of a bicycle. “Haw Jimmy! Gauny geeza backie?”

baggie minnies -
The wee minnows we used to catch in the local burns and keep in jamjars.
“Mah baggie minnies ur deed!” (The jamjar wasn’t big enough)

bahookie -
Another name for bum or b*m if censorship prevails :) “Get yer big bahookie aff mah cher!” (Get yer big backside off my chair)

bamstick -
Idiot, ‘nutter’ or generally stupid person. Often shortened to just ‘bam’ as in “erz Tam the Bam!” (There’s Thomas the stupid person)

Barras -
The famous open market, The Barras, in the east end of the city (Gallowgate). Takes its name from the barrow stalls that once made up the market. If you want to hear The Patter, the Barras is the place to go. An hour walking around the stalls listening to the sellers and the Glesca ‘punters’ is the best field trip available for students of The Patter. Also, you can buy anything at the Barras…
“Ah goat a telly fae the Barras: only cost meh a tenner!” (I bought a television from the Barras for £10).
“Ye wir dun, thers a valve missin!” (You were swindled, it lacks an important component)

And now for The Jeely Piece Song

Written in 1967, the dialect is softened somewhat to make it more understandable to a general audience. It remains a classic of Glesca dialect, humour and changes of the time. It went to a catchy tune which, if ye haud yer heid close tae the speaker ye’ll hear meh hummin :) Alternatively, try the link at the end to hear some Glesca kids sing a bit of it.

Jeely Piece Song
(Adam McNaughton 1967 )

I'm a skyscraper wean; I live on the nineteenth flair,
But I'm no' gaun oot tae play ony mair,
'Cause since we moved tae Castlemilk, I'm wastin' away
'Cause I'm gettin' wan meal less every day:
Chorus
Oh ye cannae fling pieces oot a twenty story flat,
Seven hundred hungry weans will testify to that.
If it's butter, cheese or jeely, if the breid is plain or pan,
The odds against it reaching earth are ninety-nine tae wan.

On the first day ma maw flung oot a daud o' Hovis broon;
It came skytin' oot the windae and went up insteid o' doon.
Noo every twenty-seven hours it comes back intae sight
'Cause ma piece went intae orbit and became a satellite.

On the second day ma maw flung me a piece oot wance again.
It went and hut the pilot in a fast low-flying plane.
He scraped it aff his goggles, shouting through the intercom,
"The Clydeside Reds huv goat me wi' a breid-an-jeely bomb."

On the third day ma maw thought she would try another throw.
The Salvation Army band was staunin' doon below.
"nward Christian Soldiers" was the piece they should've played
But the oompahman was playing a piece an' marmalade.

We've wrote away to Oxfam to try an' get some aid,
An a' the weans in Castlemilk have formed a 'piece-brigade'.
We're gonnae march to George's Square demanding civil rights
Like nae mair hooses ower piece-flinging height.

Hope you enjoyed that. If you’d like a wee taste of what it sounds like go to;

http://www.fortunecity.co.uk/meltingpot ... e_song.htm

Talk tae yeez aw nixt week. Bob.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually I’ll be back amorra wae Patter 3

Bob.

Andy

Post by Andy » Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:58 am

I used to do a modified version of that and "Ra Barras" during my Cabaret days.
Searching for Keogh, Kelly, Fitzgerald, Riddell, Stewart, Wilson, McQuilkin, Lynch, Boyle, Cairney, Ross, King, McIlravey, McCurdy, Drennan and Woods (to name but a few).

Also looking for any information on Rathlin Island, County Antrim, Ireland.

Moonwatcher

Post by Moonwatcher » Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:12 am

Andy,

So ye'll be up furr 'turn' then oan eh 29th?

Bob.

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:36 am

I'll contribute "Floodgarry" !

Davie

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:47 am

Davie,

Qu'est-ce que c'est? :?

Ignorance is perhaps bliss?

Enjoy your day

Catriona

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:34 pm

I remember a scottish troup called "A Breath of Scotland" would come to St.John's each year .The family would all pile in the car and travel an hour and a half to see them.With Andy Stewert's rock and roll version of Donald Where's your Trousers being my fav.by far.But I mentioned the Jelly Piece song to my sister(born in Priest Hill) and off she went for a verse or two.I believe it was Ronnie Cogburn who would sing this ,flipping his Kilt as he did causing Mum to laugh with tears.Two former members of the troup were here in Dartmouth in Sept.and my sister and I took my husband to see the Alexander Brothers.What grand memories for my sister and I.My husband a Newf loved it.Do you know of a song from Billy Connelly Last Train to Glasgow Central or the best by far The Wellie Boot song.
These are the things I remember best of Christmas and Hogmaney.The house cleaning for sure,and the baking for days of shortbread and mince pies (not the ones they serve here with fruit and raisons)We'd put on our kilts (my son now wears my Old Johnstone)and the old records would come out.Even Jimmy Shands 45s.The house would be packed with friends we'd made on the Island and it wasn't long before we had them going to The Breath of Scotland also.
A note:Newfoundlanders seem to think that Scots,English and Irish are all the same and interchangable.When ever there was a new Parish Priest from Ireland he would always be sent to us so he could talk to someone from home.So there we were a Scottish,Presbyterian family and an Irish Priest at dinner.One benefit was they didn't have to play the roll of town Priest with us and were able to be themselves.We saw a side of the local Priest or neighbors never knew.They were all brae laddies.HK

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:37 pm

Anonymous wrote:Davie,

Qu'est-ce que c'est? :?

Ignorance is perhaps bliss?

Enjoy your day

Catriona
A beautiful Jacobean lament..........

Davie