Encore .....

Stories memories and people

Moderators: Global Moderators, AnneM

Moonwatcher

Encore .....

Post by Moonwatcher » Tue May 24, 2005 8:53 am

Hi All!

Right, there’s a number of things I want to discuss here, bear with me if I’m jumping around, refering to diferent posts, threads and topics.

To start off I’d like to thank everyone for their comments. I’m not just saying that, I really mean it. You’ve to be in a position of having created something to appreciate the power of feedback. Anyone who’s ever prepared a nice meal must know what I mean. Until you see people tucking in and clearing plates and someone actually says they’ve enjoyed it, there’s a tendancy towards a feeling of failure. Hence the reason, I think, why AnnM made her comment about people not enjoying the last episode of her series. Ann, I suspect you’re spending too much time looking at the number of views and responses to your stories – I know I do : ) It’s human nature. Of course everyone enjoyed it – but because there was less response than before, you assume, wrongly, that people have lost interest. I’ve learned over time that the numbers game on TS (and SP before it) is a poor reflection of the actual interest that exists. So Ann, if the inspiration’s there – keep em coming!

Another thing I learned as I dabbled in this writing thing is that, without inspiration, it just doesn’t work. My own inspiration has been fired by my quest to seek out my roots – pure and simple. In doing so I’ve discovered a wee gift for writing. But now that I’ve satisfied my thirst for my family history I’m afraid the inspiration has dried up. [Only the key to that locked door in Ireland would rekindle my quest]. I purposely chose the Tenement series because I wanted a means to pull the whole thing together and achieve closure. I feel I achieved that. Like I said in the story – it’s time for me to move on. Incidentally, I toyed with the idea of making it a much longer series, dealing with each tenant in turn over the years. But I soon realised that the cost of the research was prohibitive, so I restricted it to those mentioned in the narrative.

With regard to publishing any of this stuff. Davie is quite correct in that he approached me some time ago, after the Glesca Patter series ended, with a view to approaching a publisher. And, as he says, he even made a kind offer to assist in the finance. But I have a problem with these kind of things. Quite simply, I believe that if I have something to offer – then the publisher should pay for the goods. Why should I pay a publisher to print the very stuff that may make him/her money? As I explained to Davie, I had my fingers burned some years ago when I decided to try my hand at artwork (it should be understood that my creativeness compensates for my complete mechanical ineptitude). Anyway, during that period I forked out for materials, framing, gallery wall space and general expenses. I sold a few things but no where near enough to cover costs. All I did was keep other people in work. I’m afraid I feel the same about publishers. Having said all that, if a publisher were to approach me and say ‘Heh there! We reckon you’ve got something there. We’ll give you a chance.’ Who knows?

Finally, and this is the end. The whole Moonwatcher thing comes from my passion for the history of space exploration and the moon landings of the 60s/70s. So I think it fitting that I take my leave on what is Cyber Seance 17. Apollo 17 was the last moon landing. The decision to stop the programme at that point came as a blow to many. Some of us are still waiting for it to return. But the original objectives had been achieved. Public interest was waning. And new goals were on the horizon. One of the members of Mission Control in Houston was quoted as saying ‘We drank the wine at the rate it was given’. Well folks, that’s how I feel about the last two and a half years. Perhaps I didn’t take the time to savour the stuff as I should have. But it’s been quite a ride!

Take care all of you and thanks for everything.

Bob.

PS. As Gandalf said ‘Look out for me... at unlikely times.’

Or something like that : )

nelmit

Re: Encore

Post by nelmit » Tue May 24, 2005 10:14 am

Moonwatcher wrote:..............................very much snipped
PS. As Gandalf said ‘Look out for me... at unlikely times.’

Or something like that : )
You've got me greetin' again Bob!!! You have a wonderful natural talent.

I will certainly be 'looking out for you'. (From the west at sunset?)

Kind regards,
Annette M

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Tue May 24, 2005 2:09 pm

Hi Bob

I've been back to read your post 3 times now. First read made me pretty sad. Second time through I got just a little mad. This time I figure it’s only fitting to stop thinking of my sorry self and give you something instead…so =D> Even..... =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Thanks for all the stories. Thanks from the bottom of my heart.

JustJean

Ps...Don't be a stranger

AnnetteR

Post by AnnetteR » Tue May 24, 2005 4:48 pm

Now look here Bob Wilson - don't you dare take yer wee botty aff this board cos ma Sundays will never be the same again if ye dae. Ah don't gie a monkeys if ye jist write aboot the weather or the price eh breed cos whatever it is it will be brilliant.

Ah think we should get a poll going eh?

Annette R
-----------------------------------------------------
Researching in Fife: Wilson, Ramsay, Cassels/Carswell, Lindsay, Millar, Bowman and many others.
In Glasgow and West of Scotland: Aitchison, Wilkinson, Keenan, Black, Kinloch and Leiper.

Ina
Global Moderator

Post by Ina » Tue May 24, 2005 5:38 pm

I agree with Anne.

Don't you even consider leaving this board. We all enjoy reading your posts. As an ex-patriot you certainly bring back a lot of memories for me. I look forward to Sunday mornings and reading your posts.

I hope you will continue to share your talent of writing with all of us here on the TS board.

Ina

MaryE

Post by MaryE » Tue May 24, 2005 8:32 pm

Family history shouldn't be just aiming to get names and dates as far back as you can. It's so important to put 'flesh on the bones' - and this is exactly what Bob and Anne are doing for us all. Even if the families are not ours and perhaps even the places are far from where we were brought up it still gives a tremendous flavour of what life was like.

Keep it up, both of you!

Mary