From the Aberdeen Journal .....

Stories memories and people

Moderators: Global Moderators, AnneM

MaryE

From the Aberdeen Journal .....

Post by MaryE » Tue May 24, 2005 8:52 pm

Noticed during a recent trawl through the BMD columns in the Aberdeen Journal ....

Wed July 12 1837

'Married at Huntly on the 27th ult., by the Rev James Walker, Mr John Duncan, Blairduff of Clatt, to Anne Mackenzie. Their ages, when added together, amount to 134. It is also worthy of remark that the bridegroom was led to meet his bride by one of his great-grand daughters.'

And I particularly liked this one ...

Wed April 10 1839

'Died at Kirriemuir, on the 30th ult. Miss Jane Simpson aged about 60. This lady, among other eccentric arrangements in connection with her demise, gave directions that, at her death, instead of the usual sombre shroud and winding sheet, she should be decorated for the grave in the gayest apparel, a fancy muslin-printed gown of white and red colours, silk stockings, prunella shoes, a fine silk shawl, head dress conform; and, in short, dressed out more like for a bridal than a funeral. Having left abundant means, her request was literally complied with. It is seldom that the greedy worm feasts amongst so much grandeur. We understand that, in better taste and more consideration, she has bequeathed £150 to the Kirk-Session, to provide coals for the poor out of interest, as well as other well-timed and well-deserved legacies.'

Did the worms get indigestion, do you think?

(I wondered what prunella shoes were so tried my dictionary. 'prunella: a strong silk or worsted fabric used formerly for barristers' gowns, the uppers of women's shoes etc')

Mary

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Tue May 24, 2005 9:35 pm

We Anne MacKs obviously go in for marrying at a great age though D and I only managed a combined total of 110! and not even a grandchild in sight!

Anne
Anne
Researching M(a)cKenzie, McCammond, McLachlan, Kerr, Assur, Renton, Redpath, Ferguson, Shedden, Also Oswald, Le/assels/Lascelles, Bonning just for starters