PLEASE HELP - Caught in filthy web

The technical section

Moderator: Global Moderators

Thrall

Post by Thrall » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:41 pm

Hi All, if I may dip my oar in slightly; about a year ago I was attacked and, despite Macafee, firewall, and Spybot, the PC was pretty well unusable. I was of course bombarded by bogus offers to clean out the viruses and trojans that I was told had taken root in my registry but fortunately did not accept - that would have made things even worse.

After many attempts, I managed (on another computer) to Google the messages I was receiving and on a forum found the advice to try "HijackThis."

http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US ... hijackthis

Only then did I manage to clean the rot out and have lived happily ever after; the problem was that the infection did not permit one to delete it, but HijackThis succeeded in finding the problem registry entries with help from a more literate friend.

Hoping no one needs this advice,

Merry Christmas and guid hunting,

Thrall

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:35 am

Hi all,

I was receiving about 30 rogue emails a day, a lot of them cyrillic, and no matter what I did, my spam filters in my email program and in AVG/Zone Alarm etc just wasn't catching them. I was getting very tired of them.

One day I happened to be sitting at the computer and the little pop-up email notification box came up and it said "Receiving one of 66 emails!!! :shock: Immediately I knew it was a spam attack, so I went into my email program and halted the receiving process. Then I scouted around the internet looking for some help.

This is what I use now:

http://www.mailwasher.net/ (free version)

It is the BEST. At first it is just a bit fiddly, but what it amounts to is that I choose what comes into my inbox through this program. And the best thing is that the spammers seem to recognise that it is there, because I hardly get any spam now (on the server - cos it now never gets to my computer) at all.

Nina
Researching: Easton ( Renfrewshire, Dunbarton and Glasgow), Corr (Londonderry and Glasgow), Carson (Co. Down, Irvine, Ayrshire and Glasgow), Logan (Londonderry and Glasgow)