Laptop wouldn't power up from hibernate

The technical section

Moderator: Global Moderators

speleobat2

Laptop wouldn't power up from hibernate

Post by speleobat2 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:41 am

Hi all,

Back again with another problem with my future garden decoration.

A little earlier I sat down to check email, pressed the power button and the computer didn't power up. The lighted ring around the power button and the light on the front of the computer glowed for a few seconds, then disappeared. After 30 tries, both with and without the battery in and the same with the AC cord connected or disconnected, I gave up and planned a trip to the city.

Half an hour later, I tried again and the fourth time, it powered up. I always leave it in hibernate when I close up. This time I'm going to do a complete shut down.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to read them. May not get your answers until tomorrow, if this quits on me completely tonight!

Thanks,

Carol :(
Looking for: Clerihew, Longmuir/Longmore, Chalmers, Milne, Barclay in Newhills,
Munro, Cadenhead, Raitt, Ririe/Reary

Currie

Post by Currie » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:07 am

Hello Carol,

Go to Start – Settings – Control Panel – Power Options and check if the Power Scheme settings still make sense. The default for you may be Portable/Laptop, if so the settings may be:

Monitor 15min
Hard Disk 30min
Standby 20min
Hibernate 3hrs

If hibernate continues to be a problem maybe you could change these settings to go into standby but never into hibernate, or maybe change the power button settings as under.

On the advanced tab you’ll see power button options, check to see whether these haven’t changed and still appear to be consistent with what you expect should happen. Do you get into hibernation by using the timer method or is your power button set to get you there.

After having a bit of a read around there are suggestions that some software programs or hardware may have a problem with the use of hibernation. I read somewhere that a machine can be forced out of hibernation and into normal shutdown if the power button is held in for several seconds. Much like shutting down a frozen computer. I’ve no idea whether it actually works.

Hope there’s something useful there,
Alan

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:59 pm

Thanks Alan,

I'll have a look at the power options. I'm wondering if the problem isn't the power switch itself? Holding it in doesn't do anything more than pressing and releasing. Last evening when it wouldn't work, it just wouldn't work at all! There's some chatter on the internet about failing switches and power units etc. too.

It started up on the first press this morning from a complete shut down so I guess I'll use it until it fails completely, then take it in for repairs. Still have a year on that extended warranty and just did another back up recently--and there's a good used book store in the city!

Carol :D

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:29 am

I'm inclined to agree with Alan about some progs or utilities having a problem with hibernate.

My desktop, when it was brand new, simply wouldn't come back on in the same "state" after being put into hibernate. It had to be shut down and booted up again to get my own setup back. I had installed some stuff myself and the problem started after that, but it wasn't till after I did a clean-up and got rid of a lot of the stuff that was installed by the makers but not my own new stuff that the problem stopped. To this day I have no idea which prog was the guilty party.

When I got my new laptop I did the clean-up right away to avoid any chance of the same problem.
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:21 am

Hi Mary,

My problem was that I couldn't get it shut down! Even removing the battery and disconnecting the power had no effect. Still don't know what changed in the half hour that I let it sit but something was going on in it's little brain. :shock:

I've used hibernate three times since this morning and it has worked fine. I'm keeping a log of the incidents and these first two were thirteen days apart. It will be interesting to see what happens next and when!

Carol :D