Printing from Scotland'sPeople

The technical section

Moderator: Global Moderators

speleobat2

Printing from Scotland'sPeople

Post by speleobat2 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:55 pm

Two questions: I bought my gr grandfather's will and inventory. I have printed out all the other records ie. death, birth, marriage as ordinary copies on regular copy paper. With the will and inventory, my printer insists that these are photos and wants photo paper. I figured out how to print on regular paper, but it is still printing as a photo and is using a ton of ink! Any way around this?

Also, when the copy prints out it chops off the bottom of the pages even though I have checked the box to fit the picture to the page. Is there anything I can do about this?

Any help will be appreciated!

Carol :D
Looking for: Clerihew, Longmuir/Longmore, Chalmers, Milne, Barclay in Newhills,
Munro, Cadenhead, Raitt, Ririe/Reary

speleobat2

Re: Printing from Scotland'sPeople

Post by speleobat2 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:39 am

OK, after playing around with this, I went in and changed from printing in color to printing in black and white/grayscale. The pages of the will were printing out with a pinkish background which was using a lot of ink. The black and white/grayscale is much quicker. The bottom of the pages are still being cut off so I will try changing the paper size after I get some longer paper.

trish1

Post by trish1 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:57 pm

Hi Carol

I download the wills and they are saved as a series of jpg images - usually 2 will pages per image. I use a program called irfanview which is freely available to download - and split the images into 1 page per image. I can then print on A4 paper & irfanview will adjust each image to fit on 1 page. You could probably scale the 2 page images to print landscape - but my eyesight is finding that too small. I often just read them onscreen as I can blow the images up to a larger size. When printing, like you I print as greyscale - draft quality if the image is good enough for same.

With some very large wills I often summarize what is needed for my research & key into a word document for keeping/printing.

Trish

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:53 pm

Hi Trish,

I solved the size problem by accident. In the print window, there is a box that says something like "Fit to window size" and it was checked. I unchecked it and the pages of the will printed out full size on regular paper. Don't ask me why! I thought the "Fit to window size" meant that it would shrink the image but it did the opposite so the bottom of each page was getting chopped off. Obviously I'm no expert at this!

I usually blow up the images and read the wills on the computer first too, but I really missed a line with this will. I thought the whole estate totaled around 1200 pounds. On rereading it I found that my great grandfather had left an insurance policy worth something over 38,000 pounds! The estate was put into a trust to support his wife and 4 unmarried daughters. My grandmother would have stopped receiving any money when she married in 1910. I never heard any stories about large sums of money laying about in Scotland so I'm guessing it was spent on my great grandmother and my great aunts. It sounds like a lot, but my great aunts all lived until the late 1940's and this was likely their only income.

trish1

Post by trish1 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:40 am

Glad you sorted it - wills do provide all sorts of interesting happenings. One of my favorites was a ggg uncle who left all sorts of people (family and charities) various sums of money - totalling over 20,000 pounds. His estate was worth about 3000 pounds. I felt for the residual beneficiaries.

Trish

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:28 pm

What a mess that would have been to straighten out! We had enough problems settling my mother's estate and there were only three of us in contention.