Where did you hear of TalkingScot? (2011)

TalkingScot asks its members...

Moderator: Global Moderators

Anne H
Global Moderator

Re: Where did you hear of TalkingScot (2011)

Post by Anne H » Mon May 02, 2011 11:37 am

Welcome Roscoe :D we're glad you found us and look forward to seeing you on the boards.

Regards,
Anne H

brabason

Post by brabason » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:33 pm

Same as most, searching for information on Google. I have asked two questions on the forum and received some excellent replies. Like most forums you have to skip through the well meaning and chatty answers; there is usually a gem or two hiding among them. I have not looked at the other features of the web site.

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:51 pm

brabason wrote:Like most forums you have to skip through the well meaning and chatty answers
At the risk of coming across as well meaning, I'll welcome you again to the forum in a brief and not at all chatty manner :D
Bring on your brick walls!

All the best,
Sarah

Johnmac

Post by Johnmac » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:57 pm

I found TalkingScot while browsing through the net. I am currently researching my family tree and felt that as my family on my father's side comes from Scotland I thought I would give TalkingScot a try

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:31 pm

Hello Johnmac and [TS_welcome]
If you haven't already tried, you'll find that scotlandspeople.gov.uk is the place to find birth, marriage and death certificates for Scotland. When you get stuck or confused going back in time, post a question here on Talking Scot and there will be sure to be someone who will enjoy the challenge of trying to find your long lost relatives and give you pointers in the search.

Before you know it, you'll be helping others out with their families!

All the best,
Sarah

kerrynicol

Post by kerrynicol » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:48 am

Hi all, i just recently found your site as i was doing a google search on James Nicol and your site with a members question came up. I joined up so i could email this lady as she is researching the same family tree but i can't email her until someone accepts me..pls advise what i do next, i have only just started researching the Nicols from Scotland as one branch has come out to New Zealand and i have details to give her... I must admit i am most impressed with Talkingscot.com so far and am very impressed as it is better than alot of the UK sites..

please advise how i can email this lady

kind regard
kerry Nicol
New Zealand

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:01 am

kerrynicol wrote:Hi all, i just recently found your site as i was doing a google search on James Nicol and your site with a members question came up. I joined up so i could email this lady as she is researching the same family tree but i can't email her until someone accepts me..pls advise what i do next, i have only just started researching the Nicols from Scotland as one branch has come out to New Zealand and i have details to give her... I must admit i am most impressed with Talkingscot.com so far and am very impressed as it is better than alot of the UK sites..

kind regard
kerry Nicol
New Zealand
Hello and welcome tp Talking Scot Kerry.

I'm sure admin will be able to help but meanwhile why don't you post your interest in the thread where James Nicol is mentioned and perhaps the member will contact you.

Regards,
Annette

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:13 am

nelmit wrote:
kerrynicol wrote:... but i can't email her until someone accepts me..pls advise what i do next, i have only just started researching the Nicols from Scotland as one branch has come out to New Zealand and i have details to give her... I must admit i am most impressed with Talkingscot.com so far and am very impressed as it is better than alot of the UK sites..

I'm sure admin will be able to help but meanwhile why don't you post your interest in the thread where James Nicol is mentioned and perhaps the member will contact you.
Hi Kerry,

[TS_welcome]

Most people hide their e-mail address, so it is not a matter of being accepted. You should be able to PM (private message) her. Click on the PM button on one of her posts or on her profile page, and you should be able to send a message to her.

All the best,

AndrewP

Alan SHARP

Post by Alan SHARP » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:05 pm

[TS_welcome]

Most people hide their e-mail address, so it is not a matter of being accepted. You should be able to PM (private message) her. Click on the PM button on one of her posts or on her profile page, and you should be able to send a message to her.

All the best,

AndrewP
--------------------------------------------------------
And a NZ Greetings to you Kerry.

I assume it is "Maisie" you are trying to contact, and hopefully Maisie will receive your PM and get back to you.

With some of the older postings it can pay to click on the poster's NAME, and when at their profile, click on - view poster's postings. There in may be clues how you can use a third party, to make contact. Maisie notes a "Geograph" posting. As this site can not directly host images, quite often you will find reference to people exchanging alternative contact information, so that images can be exchanged.

Some times people getting PM notification, are slow at getting back, because they have forgotten their password needed to get access to their information. It is not uncommon for a PM to be sent to posters, who last visited the site five or more years ago. If you are one having problems, re-register and make contact with administration.

All the best - Alan SHARP.

jam1255

Post by jam1255 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:44 pm

Hi
It's google!! Although, not much luck with my family brick walls ( that will come) , it has been a great reference of other websites for research. ie Glasgow papers.
Thanks TS.
Regards
Judy