Irene MacGregor Death

Southern part of Great Britain

Moderator: Global Moderators

tazzy

Irene MacGregor Death

Post by tazzy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:37 pm

I know this is a very long shot but thought I would try anyway.
Can anyone help with a death for an Irene MacGregor born approx 1875 either in Isle of Man, Manchester or Liverpool.
My Great Uncle, Alexander MacGregor, was born in Dufftown, Banffshire in 1875, I was told he married someone called Irene on the Isle of Man.
Apparently, she was matron of an alcoholic institution and he became superintendant after their marriage but again, this may be wrong although my cousin insisted it was true.
I cannot find a marriage for him to an Irene on the Isle of Man so don't know if this is correct but I have a marriage for him in 1900 to Martha Anne MacLean in West Derby, Liverpool.
They had a family that were born in West Derby, Alexander and Norman, born in 1901 & 1903. There is a photograph of Irene MacGregor with my Great Aunt and the photo looks quite old. Maybe he married twice possibly between 1892 and 1900.

I don't know when he went to the Isle of Man but he died in Mannin Infirmary, Braddan in 1956 (death certificate obtained from IOM). This was a poor hospital. There was no mentioon of a wife on death certificate. I know he was in Scotland about 1933 / 1935, as per letters from him while in Scotland.

WilmaM

Re: Irene MacGregor Death

Post by WilmaM » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:13 pm

Have you traced his through the different census records?
That should show you who he was married to [ up until 1911 anyway],
even if a marriage missed the 10 year intervals, perhaps he'd show up as a widower on the next one?
Wilma

tazzy

Post by tazzy » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:32 pm

He was still in Scotland in 1891 census but married in 1900 in West Derby Liverpool. His address in 1901 Census was 3 Sutton St, West Derby.
The information I received fom someone on Rootschat website and it doesn't say if he was single or widowed.
I don't have the marriage certificate yet but think I will have to send for it just to confirm.
I was led to believe that he married Irene on the Isle of Man but that would have been a lot later than 1911 but I'm not sure if this is correct.

He was still in Liverpool then and he returned to Scotland at some point before 1935.

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:45 pm

Could Irene have been Alexander's daughter rather than his wife?

There is a birth at West Derby in 1915 of an Irene M J Macgregor whose mother's maiden name was McLean. Can you get an idea of her age in the photograph?

Regards,
Annette

tazzy

Post by tazzy » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:22 pm

Dear Annette,

I've just checked my emails and I'm so excited about this piece of information, Alexanders 2 sons, Alexander and Norman, were born in 1901 and 1903 so this could possibly be another birth that I missed. Do you have anymore information on the birth?? I don't know when the photo was taken and it's hard to tell how old. I think I will hve to send for the certificate to check.
Where did you find the birth Annette. I tried looking on Genes Reunited and also family search but nothing.

Evelyn

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:42 pm

I found it indexed at Ancestry Evelyn.

Name: Irene M J MacGregor
Mother's Maiden Name: McLean
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1915
Registration district: West Derby
Inferred County: Lancashire
Volume: 8b

Obviously it may just be a coincidence but I thought I'd post it anyway.

Regards,
Annette

trish1

Post by trish1 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:04 am

Hi Annette & Evelyn

That entry is slightly weird on ancestry & shows no image available. The vol/page as given on ancestry doesn't seem to have that record for that year. As FreeBDM is well past that date I checked there & it has a different year and quarter - so it may be a transcription error somewhere between FreeBDM and ancestry. The images on both freeBDM and ancestry show the birth in 1912 - which is a few years closer to the other children :)

Births Mar 1912 MacGregor Irene M J McLean W.Derby 8b 1196

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

Trish

Added - here they are in 1911
RG14/Piece 22634

Alexander Macgregor head 36 married male nurse born Dufftown Banffshire
Annie Macgregor wife 38 married 11yrs 2 child, 2 living born Donegal Ireland
Alec A E Macgregor son 10 school Liverpool
Norman H Macgregor son 8 school Liverpool
Hugh Ellis Edwards boarder 42 single private means Carnarvon N Wales
William H Sloan Boarder 50 single shipping clerk Dumfries N.B.
Living at 114 Snaefell Avenue Liverpool - 6 rooms

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:32 am

Hi Trish

That makes more sense of a death indexed in 1927 of a Irene M MacGregor at Liverpool age 14. :(

Regards,
Annette

trish1

Post by trish1 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:18 am

nelmit wrote:Hi Trish

That makes more sense of a death indexed in 1927 of a Irene M MacGregor at Liverpool age 14. :(

Regards,
Annette
Oh dear - that is sad - I'm not sure I wanted to know that - I was thinking marriage - children - grandchildren - as we do. :cry:

Trish