Mcintosh - The Bridge Inn - Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Southern part of Great Britain

Moderator: Global Moderators

tishgibbons

Mcintosh - The Bridge Inn - Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Post by tishgibbons » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:01 am

Anyone here with a connection or interest in either McIntosh or Newcastle-upon-Tyne???

Still on the trail of elusive Helen Mitchell born Strathdon 1846 and her son Charles Mitchell born Strathdon 1868.

Thanks to Annette (nelmit) who has suggested this might be them: -

"There is this family in 1881 at Dennistoun, Glasgow -

Gilbert McIntosh 33 born Dornoch
Ellen McIntosh 30 born Shathdon (Ancestry transcription :) )
Charles McIntosh 12 born Shathdon"

Ellen and Gilbert married in Glasgow in 1872 and her age is out by 6 years and the mother's maiden name is wrong... still wondering...?

I find them at the Bridge Inn, Newcastle-upon-Tyne in 1891, now also with a 5 year old daughter Gilbertina

and again in 1901 in Heaton, Northumberland with 15 year old Gilbertina and no sign of Charles.

Ellen dies in 1905.

Any suggestions gratefully received!!!

Tish
Researching Mitchell Grassick Bowman Farquharson Wilson Allanach Leys Coutts Gauld McNerney from Crathie and Braemar, Strathdon and Glenbuchat and who moved on to Aberdeen, Glasgow, Ireland, Australia, India, Canada.

tishgibbons

Re: Mcintosh - The Bridge Inn - Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Post by tishgibbons » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:33 pm

Yes - this seems to be my Helen Mitchell - a brick wall of 20 years standing. Not for the first time in this family, ages and mother's maiden names were wrong on marriage certificates, but I now see that both Helen Mitchell and Gilbert Mcintosh worked near one another in Tullynessle in 1871 and the age of Helen's son (Charles Mitchell) matches the age of Charles Mcintosh who Gilbert claims as his son in subsequent census returns. Charles Mcintosh place of birth is given as Strathdon where Charles Mitchell and Helen were both born. Mystery solved with sincere thanks to Annette (Nelmit) who found the family in 1881 in Glasgow and suggested they were a match.

I'm celebrating!
Researching Mitchell Grassick Bowman Farquharson Wilson Allanach Leys Coutts Gauld McNerney from Crathie and Braemar, Strathdon and Glenbuchat and who moved on to Aberdeen, Glasgow, Ireland, Australia, India, Canada.