Post by marilyn morning » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:24 pm

Interesting Site

http://www.cartes.freeuk.com/time/time.htm

Regards
Marilyn

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:29 pm

Great site Marilyn. I have a couple of cartes de visite one of which features a young couple and the other an older couple. They were both taken in Ardrossan which means that they are McKenzies or Sheddens. The fact that the young woman is a dead ringer for my late Aunt May MacKenzie is also a dead give away!

I very much suspect that the younger couple are my great grandparents William McKenzie and Ann Shedden (born Miller) and I'd guessed early 1880s but looking at that site I'm tending towards the late 1870s. It then occurred to me to check the date of their marriage and it is 1878 so I'm becoming convinced it is a wedding photo. I also think the older couple are his parents Samuel McKenzie and Margaret McBride because they look a lot more like him than her! Mind you she was born before her 'parents' marriage so who knows who her daddy was.

Anne
Anne
Researching M(a)cKenzie, McCammond, McLachlan, Kerr, Assur, Renton, Redpath, Ferguson, Shedden, Also Oswald, Le/assels/Lascelles, Bonning just for starters

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:51 am

The fact that the young woman is a dead ringer for my late Aunt May MacKenzie is also a dead give away!
Hi Anne,

Isn't it amazing when you find old photos and see the immediate resemblance to a family member? Gosh, I almost fell off my chair the first time I viewed a photo of my great great grandmother, Margaret Morning. My younger brother was a dead ringer for her in a dress. :shock:

Regards
Marilyn

wini

DATING AN OLD U.K. PHOTO

Post by wini » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:59 am

Marilyn

Hope you ddidn't ask your wee brother to get into a frock so you could compare him to the photie :roll: :roll:

wini
Munro, McPhee, Gunn, Reid, McCreadie, Jackson, Cree, McFarland,Gillies,Gebbie,McCallum,Dawson
Glasgow, Durness,Kilmuir via Uig, Logie Easter
Old Monkland

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:45 am

Wini

You stole my thunder. It's also scary when you see the younger generation gettting more and more like their elders. My daughter bears a strong resemblence to my Grandmother McCammond/McKenzie. Son number 2 is also getting increasingly like my late father to look at. The McCammond gene seems to be quite strong. What a temperament they had too!!!!!!

Anne
Anne
Researching M(a)cKenzie, McCammond, McLachlan, Kerr, Assur, Renton, Redpath, Ferguson, Shedden, Also Oswald, Le/assels/Lascelles, Bonning just for starters

Muriel

Post by Muriel » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:01 pm

Great site, Marilyn. It's going to enable me to date a series of cartes I have of my Great grandmother.

Muriel
Searching Ross - Lochwinnoch & Eaglesham, Renfrewshire; Glasgow; Glover - Paisley; Macadam - Glasgow.

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:01 pm

Hello Marilyn,

Really intersting site.

I also find this site really useful in trying to date my photographs.
http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/index.htm

I've managed to date quite a few (still can't make up my mind who they are though) :? by searching for the photographer's name.

Kind regards,
Annette M

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:20 pm

Muriel, careful you can get lost for hours on that site. :shock:

Annette, wow that's a fantastic site and I just spend the last ten minutes there and now I've gotta get off my computer and head out to a birthday party. I've added it to my favorites!!

Regards
Marilyn

karenc

Post by karenc » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:39 pm

Hi Annette and Muriel

i have added both sites to my favourites and hopefully i will be able to date some of the photos i have!

karen

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:11 am

Marilyn

Hope you ddidn't ask your wee brother to get into a frock so you could compare him to the photie

wini
Hi Wini,

Nah I didn't ask him to do any such thing. But ya should have seen the look on his face, when I showed him the photo. :lol: PRICELESS

Regards
Marilyn