Andrew Falloon b.c. 1816 Bendooragh, Antrim

Northern Ireland and Eire

Moderator: Global Moderators

darylrodger

Andrew Falloon b.c. 1816 Bendooragh, Antrim

Post by darylrodger » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:09 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to find out where an ancestor of mine came from in Ireland.
His name is Andrew Falloon, b.c.1816 possibly in Bendooragh, Ballymoney, Antrim.

His parents were Michael Falloon & Elizabeth Bryson. Andrew married Ann Quinn in Ireland and had
a daughter Fanny Ann there in b.c.1846. She married my 1st 3 x removed cousin William Farrell in Kilbirnie 1872.
I know that Andrew died on 3 Aug 1893 in Motherwell, and his wife Ann on 15 Jan 1885 in Kilbirnie.

I think the family were Presbyterian.

I've already looked at the usual sites, Ancestry, family search, Irishgenealogy.co.uk, etc.

Daryl

Elwyn 1

Re: Andrew Falloon b.c. 1816 Bendooragh, Antrim

Post by Elwyn 1 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:41 pm

Daryl,

Griffiths Valuation for 1861 lists an Andrew Falloon in Bendooragh. He had plot 15b which was a farm labourer’s cottage on John Beggart’s farm. His name remains against that property till 1876. Does that fit with your knowledge of when the family moved to Scotland? I don’t see a death registered around that time in Ballymoney, so it suggests he moved away rather than he had died.

There’s marriage for an Andrew Falloon to Sarah Rainey, registered in Ballymoney on 19.3.1858. Don’t know if there’s any connection. You can view the original certificate on-line on the GRONI website, using the “search registrations” option:

https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk

You will need to open an account and buy some credits. It costs £2.50 to a view a certificate.

If you are looking for the baptism of Fanny Ann and any subsequent children, plus perhaps the parents marriage, you would need to search the records for the various Presbyterian churches in the Ballymoney area. There are 6. Not all have records for the 1840s though. However copies of the surviving records are in PRONI (the public record office) in Belfast. A personal visit is required to view them. I don’t think any of them are on-line anywhere though you could try the rootsireland site, just in case.

If the marriage was Presbyterian or some other denomination other than RC, then marriages from 1st April 1845 are in the statutory records. I see no sign of a Falloon-Quinn marriage so either it was before that date, or it was RC. (If RC, then the bad news is that Ballymoney RC parish has no marriage records prior to 1853).

There were no Falloons in Bendooragh in Parke’s 1817 census, so the family must have moved there after that time. The only Falloon families in Ballymoney parish then were 3 in Insinagh. None had a child named Andrew though. Though perhaps he was born a little later than 1816? None of the families had a Michael or Elizabeth as head. So that doesn’t look too promising.

Elwyn
Elwyn