Macleans of Coll Who Went to Ulster

Northern Ireland and Eire

Moderator: Global Moderators

Douglas McLean

Macleans of Coll Who Went to Ulster

Post by Douglas McLean » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:40 pm

Greetings,

I have been researching my ties to the clan and of late have been working on the possibility that my 6x gt. grandfather, John McLean, born on Mull, is connected to the Coll MacLeans, particularly the MacLeans of Grishipol. He was born circa 1690, was in the 16 Towns of Antrim in Antrim Parish, County Antrim by 1700 and emigrated to the Pennsylvania colony twenty years later. Thus, he was on the Antrim estate of the Viscounts Massereene at the same time as the Rev. John McLean, chaplain to the Massereenes and minister in Antrim from 1700 to 1715. I believe that, somehow, they were related, possibly as first cousins. Specifically, my ancestor may have been a natural son of Charles, a younger brother of Lachlan, 3rd laird of Grishipol, and an uncle to Rev. John.

Rev.John McLean, born 1652, was a son of Lachlan, 3rd of Grishipol, and migrated to County Antrim in 1689. Rev John had two uncles in addition to Charles, John and Hugh, some of whose descendants also went to Ireland. Another cadet of the MacLeans of Coll, the MacLeans of Achnasaul, also had family members who migrated to Ireland in the latter half of the 17th century, specifically, issue of Hector, 2nd laird of Achnasaul and issue of his brother, Ronald. These were also cousins, more distant, of Rev. McLean.

Finding information about these migrating MacLeans is difficult for obvious reasons. I would be most interested in hearing from anyone who can provide information about these members of the Coll family who migrated to Ulster from Coll or Mull in the late 17th century, or who can provide information regarding records or other sources to review. I have read much of the work of Nicholas MacLean-Bristol and James N.M. MacLean's Reward Is Secondary.

Douglas McLean