Blades/McNair .....

Northern Ireland and Eire

Moderator: Global Moderators

AnneM
Global Moderator

Blades/McNair .....

Post by AnneM » Mon May 30, 2005 9:56 pm

Hi

I am researching for a friend and have come across an Elizabeth McNair whose parents are probably/possibly John McNair and Ruth Blades. I believe that at least her brother John was born in Ireland in the early C19. Out of interest does anyone know where in Ireland the name Blades might well come from.

Anne
Anne
Researching M(a)cKenzie, McCammond, McLachlan, Kerr, Assur, Renton, Redpath, Ferguson, Shedden, Also Oswald, Le/assels/Lascelles, Bonning just for starters

HeatherH
Global Moderator

Post by HeatherH » Mon May 30, 2005 11:42 pm

Hi Anne,The only referece I could find for the origin of the surname Blade was:

Last Name: Blade
English: metonymic occupational name for a cutler, from Middle English blade ‘cutting edge’, ‘sword’

So I would guess they moved there from England at some point.

Hope this helps,
HeatherK
Looking for ...but not limited to Haldane ,Keir ,McLauchlan ,Walker ,Torrance , Reid ,Clark ,Johnstone ,Holmes ,Laurie ,Lawrie ,Strachan , McIlwee ,Welsh ,Queate ,Stewert ,McNight ,Steele ,Cockburn ,Young ....whew! That's more than enough for now.

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Tue May 31, 2005 11:21 am

I had a quick seaech on a few of the Irish sites that i us and only one of them had anything at all on the surname Blades.

www.historyfromheadstones.com had 2 in County Down , knockbreda [?]area.
Wilma

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Tue May 31, 2005 6:37 pm

May have to rethink here. They may have been English rather than Irish. Thanks for replying.

Anne
Anne
Researching M(a)cKenzie, McCammond, McLachlan, Kerr, Assur, Renton, Redpath, Ferguson, Shedden, Also Oswald, Le/assels/Lascelles, Bonning just for starters