Wills or Probate after death of wife?

A country in its own right

Moderator: Global Moderators

Lorna Allison

Wills or Probate after death of wife?

Post by Lorna Allison » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:51 pm

Hello Folks

Could someone point me in the right direction here please? Ancestor Thomas Bartley was born in Berwick in 1843 (teensy bit over the border I know). Father and mother went south after the birth, where mother died 3 years later. Thomas, aged 7, appears with father Nehemiah Bartley and new wife, in 1851 Census in London but is not with father in future censuses. Couple of possibilities around, nothing positive. His mother, Elizabeth ms Blackney, was due to inherit a (then) considerable sum from her father Thomas Blackney who died in 1839, but Thomas Blackney's wife took precedence over her 10 children and did not die until 1866.

My question is, would there be a separate will from the Mother although Father had clearly laid down what was to happen on her death, or should I be looking for some kind of Probate following her death? I am keen to find out if Thomas was still alive in 1866 and/or where he was living. I thought there might be some reference to him in the final settlement of the will.

I realise the will would be dealt with in England but thought someone might know the answer to this one and what authority I should contact. Might there be an online index of Wills/Settlements?

Regards

Lorna
Researching:

PAUL: Lanarkshire;
TORRANCE: Lanarkshire
CROSGROVE: Ayrshire, Glasgow
ALLISON: Glasgow
PRICE: Monmouthshire
CURZON: Staffs, Monmouthshire
TAIT, HUME, MIDDLEMAS,: Roxburghshire
PRINGLE: Glasgow, Central Belt, Edinburgh

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:07 am

Hi Lorna
There are wills on the National Archives site:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/
look to the right hand side - there is a link to info about the wills and from there you can search,
Hope this is of some help - I'm not sure where else you would look... but I'm sure someone who knows more about English records might be able to help here!

Best wishes
Lesley

mistral

Post by mistral » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:59 am

Try looking here for the information you need -
http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/cms/1183.htm
Researching Mentiply, Graham, Johnston, Gettings in Fife and Lanarkshire. Ross, McLeish, Callan, Whyte in Dundee, Cromarty and Ayrshire.

Lorna Allison

Post by Lorna Allison » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:56 pm

Thanks Lesley and Mistral

That will keep me going nicely!

Lorna
Researching:

PAUL: Lanarkshire;
TORRANCE: Lanarkshire
CROSGROVE: Ayrshire, Glasgow
ALLISON: Glasgow
PRICE: Monmouthshire
CURZON: Staffs, Monmouthshire