Isle of Rum Russell Family

Useful places to look up facts

Moderator: Global Moderators

rexbart

Isle of Rum Russell Family

Post by rexbart » Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:02 pm

First post just joined today, hopefully someone out there can help me. Im travelling to Scotland in September and all going well going out to Rum. My G G Grandfather Archibald Henry Russell came from Rum. On his death certificate its written Rum as place of Birth and that was 1839. On a census in 1851 it shows them living in Kinloch and Archibald was listed as a 12 and scholar.They were a big family of 5 boys in total living at the address. Parents were John & Euphemia Russell (nee Mclean) .My understanding she was his 2nd wife, the first was Susan.
John the father died in 1869 and wife written down as Euphemia Russell, parents of John were William and Catherine Russell ( nee Mclean) The Mcleans are appearing a lot through family ties before and after. Theres even a servant listed on the day of the census as a Mary Maclean.

The parents of Euphemia Russell ( McLean) were Angus Mclean of Bracadale of Sky. The Grandfather of Archibald was William Russell, his wife was Catherine nee Mclean.

From what I have read theres very little left of the 1800,s on the Island so not a lot to see, but still looking forward to the trip out there. Are there any Russells that have this same connection to the Island as I would love to hear from you. Archibald immigrated to New Zealand around 1861. Before coming out to NZ Archibald he worked as a gardener on a large estate on the mainland, somewhere near Breadalbane or on Breadalbane? Look forward to hearing from anyone who has further information on the family.

Rex Bartlett ( my mum was the Russell connection a direct descendant )
New Zealand

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: Isle of Rum Russell Family

Post by AndrewP » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:16 am

Hi Rex,

Rum (also Rhum or Rùm) is one of the Small Isles. I have visited Canna that looks over to Rum, so have seen Rum from there and from the ferry that serves the Small Isles. It is a hilly / mountainous island. I don't know if any of the small population stay anywhere other than Kinloch these days. The roads leading to elsewhere on the island are most likely tracks rather than road. You cannot take a car there without a permit - I think that is the case for all of the Small Isles (Rum, Canna, Eigg and Muck). If you are going around the island, it looks like it is on foot or by bicycle to go anywhere from Kinloch. These are beautiful islands with a lot of nature and history to see.

See https://www.isleofrum.com/

See also: https://www.calmac.co.uk/article/2983/S ... um---Canna

As you will likely have found, there are no pre-1855 (OPR) birth, marriage or death records for the Small Isles parish. They either never existed or did not survive.

All the best,

AndrewP

rexbart

Post by rexbart » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:03 am

Thanks Andrew, yes with little research I've discovered there's not a lot there left that resembles the community that once was of 300 persons. I gather in recent times that the tracks around the Island are well traveled by walking and hiking enthusiasts. I'm just looking forward to setting foot on Rum and just feel the history and tred the paths that my ancestors once did.Theres some nice accommodation on the Island so will likely stay the night, get the ferry back to Mallaig the following day.
Rex

Elwyn 1

Post by Elwyn 1 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:25 pm

Rex,

I have visited Rum at least 10 times. I have climbed Askival and Hallival, the highest hills. Right at the summit there are something like 100,000 Manx Shearwaters nesting in crevices in the rocks. They chatter away all the time and the noise is quite spooky.

https://aspenoutdoors.co.uk/2019/07/03/ ... d-askival/

I can confirm that no-one lives anywhere but Kinloch nowadays. I think the current population is around 20. There’s one track out of Kinloch suitable for a landrover or a mountain bike as well as walkers. The road splits after a couple of miles with one route going to the Red Deer hide (5 or 6 miles from Kinloch) and an old graveyard. The other branch goes down to Harris where there are a few ruins and the Bulloch’s Mausoleum. It looks like a small Parthenon. Very strange on a remote Scottish island.

Kinloch House is worth a tour if you can get in. (It’s a bit delapidated and bits are falling off here and there). The Bullochs, who owned it, did a bit of “unusual entertaining” on their remote island. At the top of the main staircase you will find a statue of Mrs Bulloch, naked. The ballroom only has windows high up in the walls (20 feet up) and the musicians gallery was screened off so they couldn’t see the dancers. A visitor is left to speculate about the sort of dances that were held there.

Watch out for the midges. The island has millions of them, especially around Kinloch. Take a midge hat.
Elwyn