What About John Mellis?

Useful places to look up facts

Moderator: Global Moderators

greenshed

What About John Mellis?

Post by greenshed » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:24 am

I am attempting to find birth and death details for John Mellis. On 4 July 1821 he married Rachel Harvey in Gartly, Aberdeenshire. They had several children, some before their wedding. John 1820, Jean 1821 and Robert 1823 through whom is my line. There is also a possibility that another child Rachel ,was part of their family.

Robert moved to Aberdeen at some point as the 1841 census shows some of the family residing in Woodside and several working in the linen factory. Father John does not appear on this return, nor on the 1851 census.

However there is a death recorded on SP for John Mellis, 16 May 1852 at Aberdour in the "village" but no other details.

Son Robert passed away 6 April 1906 in Stoneywood, Newhills and his death certificate lists parents as John Mellis, farm servant and Rachel Mellis, nee Harvey.

Another John Mellis died 1892, single and while he may have been part of the wider family, it is not the correct connection.

If anyone has some information that they could share I would be most appreciative, including whether anyone has Gartly Kirk records about the marriage dates.

Thanks
Ian

SarahND
Site Admin

Re: What About John Mellis?

Post by SarahND » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:19 pm

Hello Ian,
The Gartly Kirk Session records appear to exist, but at the moment are only available in the National Archives in Edinburgh (and possibly, I think, a few other locations around Scotland). Here is the entry from the NAS catalogue:

Reference: CH2
Title: Records of Church of Scotland synods, presbyteries and kirk sessions
Date: 1569-2006
Country code: GB
Repository code: 234
Repository: National Records of Scotland
Reference: CH2/1050
Title: Records of Gartly Kirk Session
Dates: 1725-1919
Access status: Open
Level: Fonds

You might well find something about John and his family-- the kirk session records are fascinating! But I think you are in New Zealand... so unless you plan to make a trip to Scotland soon, perhaps someone else who lives closer will find the time to go look. I'm currently in the Northwest U.S., so not much help there!

All the best,
Sarah