Scots immigrant death in Canada

Canada, USA, Mexico, Central America, South America, Carribean

Moderator: Global Moderators

Orlaith17

Scots immigrant death in Canada

Post by Orlaith17 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:44 am

Hooe someone can help. I have searched Ancestry to no avail for details of death of a relative in Canada. Her name was Cecilia Geoghan, maiden surname Scanlan. Her husband was Thomas Geoghan. She was born in Partick, Glasgow in 1895 and moved to Canada in 1923. I thought it would come up easily in Ancestry, but had no luck.

Orlaith17

Re: Scots immigrant death in Canada

Post by Orlaith17 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:28 pm

Re-above question. I know Cecilia Geoghan (Scanlan) died sometime after around 1964 as I remember her coming over to Scotland to visit when I was a child.

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:28 pm

Hi,
I'm not finding much if anything outside of Scotland:
On Find My Past
A birth in for Cecilia 1895 in Partick, Bryan Scanlan & Catherine Murray [different records have dad as Bryan, Barnard or Bernard]
1886 Birth for Bernard in Govan parents Bernard Scanlan & Catherine Murray - he died young
1901 Census in Dundee with Mother Catherine [born 1862] and several older sisters, 1 younger Brother
Possible 1911 census SP index again in St Andrew [ Dundee]
1921 nothing anything like Cecilia - parents and some siblings appear to be in Angus/Dundee
1923 immigration to USA with a Delia Scanlan, on the Carmania from Liverpool to New York as a domestic.
UK address is illegible to me. They aren't marked as Scots though instead the column British Possessions is ticked?
Mother Catherine Scanlan or Murray seems to die in 1942 in St Andrews Dundee/Angus
Father Bernard dies 1936 St Andrews Dundee/Angus.

Thereafter the trail runs cold.

Thomas Geoghan:
There's one leaving Glasgow for Quebec also in 1923.
Age 31 [ b~1892] a confectionary worker address 37 Chancellor Street, Partick. Scottish.
The only birth I can see is on The RC Records of SP:
Thomas Geoghan born to Henry Geoghan Helen Morrison 20/08/1889 again Dundee St Andrews

I can find nothing to link the 2 on Find My Past at all.

Both names are very easy to get mangled by officialdom or changed for simplicity, so they could be hiding in plain sight!

One advantage you have is that you have met the lady in question.
Now I have far too many tabs open so I may come back to it in the morning.
Wilma

Orlaith17

Post by Orlaith17 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:21 am

Thanks, Wilma. I have all of her marriage and emigration details and all of the family details too. She was my grandmother’s sister. She most certainly died in Canada. I have managed to get other death notices for relatives who emigrated to America through Ancestry, but can’t get Cecilia’s. I am a member of FmP too but have never managed to get anything oiutside of the UK iin there. I will try to seek out a site where I can make direct enquiries about deaths in Canada.
Thanks for your help.

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:10 am

One other angle for you - a former neighbour of mine had the confirmation name Cecelia, but was always called Sheila.

Food for thought,

AndrewP

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:37 pm

She may also have simply died too late to be included in on-line records yet.

Where abouts in North America did she live?
Did she have children? do you know their whereabouts. Sometimes you have to go back to move forward.

Family Search gave nothing at first try, but you may have more success with more information.
Newspapers for an obituary, if you know the location.

It's a puzzler :roll:
Wilma

Orlaith17

Post by Orlaith17 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:07 pm

Thanks Wilma. She lived in Toronto, Canada. She had no children of her own, but I believe they did raise their niece’s child as their own. I don’t know when she died, though I remember dad mentioning she had died, but can’t remember when. I met her once maybe around 1965 when she visited her relatives in Scotland.She was born in 1895 so I searched for a death from 1967 - 1985, but nothing. I searched for her husband’s death too,hoping for a clue about date of her death, but got nothing for him either. Hmmm…mystery indeed. I even searched Scottish records in case she had come home again for a visit at a later stage and died when there, but nothing.