James Muir McCracken .....

Canada, USA, Mexico, Central America, South America, Carribean

Moderator: Global Moderators

Linda Malpass

James Muir McCracken .....

Post by Linda Malpass » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:38 am

I am hoping someone could send me in the right direction in looking for James Muir McCracken, probably in the USA, after 1913.

James Muir McCracken arrived at ELLIS ISLAND, Oct 12, 1913 aboard the ship CAMERONIA which departed from Glasgow and arrived at the Port of New York. He travelled with John and Annie Park (M.S. Craig) and their child David Park, all were from New Cumnock. They were going to visit Annie Park's (ms Craig) brother William Craig who lived in Belleville, Illinois. William Craig was a friend of James Muir McCracken.

I have searched high and low for James Muir McCracken in Scotland after 1913, no luck, so I am assuming he stayed in USA. He was born 1889 in New Cumnock. Can someone please direct me in searching for James in the USA??? I found a James Muir McCracken a Vietnam Veteran, I wonder if this could be my James Muir McCrackens, son ???

I guess the middle name is a hint for me, most of my McCracken's have the middle name Muir, which is their mothers maiden name.

JAMES MUIR MCCRACKEN
is honored on Panel 2W, Row 126 of
the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.

Full Name: JAMES MUIR MCCRACKEN
Wall Name: JAMES M MCCRACKEN
Date of Birth: 2/11/1926
Date of Casualty: 3/31/1972
Home of Record: HOMESTEAD PARK
State: PA
Branch of Service: ARMY
Casualty Country: SOUTH VIETNAM
Casualty Province: HUA NGHIA

Any and all suggestions on where I should start for lookups in the USA most welcome.... :?
Linda

nanwit

Post by nanwit » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:02 pm

Hello Linda
Your James McCracken is listed in 1920 census in Allegheny County PA . Township of Robinison Dist 773 roll T625_1528 page 8a ed 773 image 177
James 30 yrs boarder works in coal mines.....

1930 Allegheny County Township of Stowe Dist 915 PA.
roll 1994 page 8b dist 915 image 400.0

Lived on 1301 Broadway
James 41 yrs old married at 36 of age works as a stone cutter
Lilian 32 yrs old married at 27 of age born pa both parents born in scotland
James jr. 4 yrs old born in pa. and you know he died 3/11/1972if you go to rootsweb site under ssdi you can order his s.s.card information.....

Good Luck Nancy :)

Linda Malpass

Post by Linda Malpass » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:08 pm

nanwit wrote:Hello Linda
Your James McCracken is listed in 1920 census in Allegheny County PA . Township of Robinison Dist 773 roll T625_1528 page 8a ed 773 image 177
James 30 yrs boarder works in coal mines.....

1930 Allegheny County Township of Stowe Dist 915 PA.
roll 1994 page 8b dist 915 image 400.0

Lived on 1301 Broadway
James 41 yrs old married at 36 of age works as a stone cutter
Lilian 32 yrs old married at 27 of age born pa both parents born in scotland
James jr. 4 yrs old born in pa. and you know he died 3/11/1972if you go to rootsweb site under ssdi you can order his s.s.card information.....

Good Luck Nancy :)
Hi Nancy, thank you so much for this info, where do I find these census records?, would that be at Ancestry.com. Does PA stand for Pennsylvania. I looked at the SSDI at Rootweb, they say it can take 6 months to get a record, has that been your experience?

I guess the ages on the census and born in Scotland, add up, but can I be sure this is my James Muir McCracken ....... James was listed as a coal miner in New Cumnock, Scotland, so that also adds up the 1920 census.

Your info has been a great help, I will pursue this further, thank you again :D
Linda

nanwit

Post by nanwit » Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:12 am

Hello Linda
First yes to PA.= Pennsylvania
Second yes also to ancestry.com but to look at these you must be a member if I remember right it's abt. 99.00 a year just for the census
only
Third yes too year born and from Scotland on the census it states he came here in 1913....
Fourth with roostweb and they have the information birth and death and the s,s, card #'s it may take abt. 2 weeks not months they just say that just in case of problems

Nancy :)

Linda Malpass

Post by Linda Malpass » Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:00 am

nanwit wrote:Hello Linda
First yes to PA.= Pennsylvania
Second yes also to ancestry.com but to look at these you must be a member if I remember right it's abt. 99.00 a year just for the census
only
Third yes too year born and from Scotland on the census it states he came here in 1913....
Fourth with roostweb and they have the information birth and death and the s,s, card #'s it may take abt. 2 weeks not months they just say that just in case of problems

Nancy :)
Thanks Nancy, my local family history society has access to ancestry.com, so I will go and have a look, thank you so much for all this info :D
Linda