Lundie girls to Halifax

Canada, USA, Mexico, Central America, South America, Carribean

Moderator: Global Moderators

car

Lundie girls to Halifax

Post by car » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:49 pm

In the 1911 census I was looking for another generation of Lundie daughters, Isobella, Christina and Jane, and found two of three in the orphanage in Dundee - the third, Jane, was with their grandmother. I got in touch with the archives in Dundee and they let me have copies of what papers they had - including Jane's. Amost as an afterthought it was mentioned that Jane had a pencilled note on her papers when she left the orphanage to say that she was going to the USA.

I have been on Find My Past and found that "Bella", "Chris" and Jane departed from Glasgow on the "Saturnia" on 20 November 1919 bound for Halifax NS.

The reason for the above is that I have no idea where to go next. Did they stay in Halifax? Would they have to give an address in Halifax? What were the dates of the census in Canada - would I maybe find them on the next census after 1919? Did they stay in Canada..... Sorry - questions that non-one can really answer.....

Any pointers would be most appreciated!

Christine

paddyscar
Site Admin

Re: Lundie girls to Halifax

Post by paddyscar » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:47 pm

Hi Car:

I've had a look at Library and Archives Canada site, but do not find your girls, but will go back in a while and have a further look.

They do appear in http://www.Ancestry.ca as arrivals in Halifax 1919 as Bella, Christina and Jane Lundie. I do not have a subscription, so can not view the records.

The most recent Canadian census available is 1911 and census results are released 92 years after the census date.

I've checked the following, and do not even see them in with the 'home' children.

Passenger lists (showing what information would have been gathered about each passenger)
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/data ... 130-e.html

immigrants by surname
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/lac- ... nguage=eng

Genealogy information - Canada
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/gene ... dex-e.html

Frances

car

Post by car » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:08 pm

Frances, thank you for replying. As I said, I have no idea about searching in Canada.

I don't have a subscription to Ancestry either and used Pay as you Go for Find my Past. I will check out the sites listed in your post.

Many thanks for your time

Regards

Christine.

PS - the census is a "no go" then!

killearnan

Post by killearnan » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:56 am

A summary of the passenger list at Ancestry:

Saturnia, arriving at Halifax from Glasgow, 29 Nov 1919:

Headed for Sault Sainte Marie, Ontario (no further details, such as address or relative's name, given):
Bella Lundie, 21, Scottish, single, first entry to Canada, Presbyterian, occ. in Scotland: calendar worker, intended occupation in Canada: domestic
Christina Lundie, 19, Scottish, single, first entry to Canada, Presbyterian, occ. in Scotland: domestic, intended occupation in Canada: domestic
Jane Lundie, 15, Scottish, single, first entry to Canada, Presbyterian, occ. in Scotland: nil, intended occupation in Canada: nil

Hope this helps!
BJ
McGee (Donegal to Edinburgh), Jamieson/Guthrie (Leith), Keddie (Peebles, Galashiels), Little (Cavers, Traquair), Arthur (Galashiels) , Paterson (Edinburgh, with occ. spells in Stirling, Greenock, Leith), Ralston (Glasgow to Stirling), Greig (Elgin)

paddyscar
Site Admin

Post by paddyscar » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:07 am

OH, MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I live in Sault Ste. Marie! Unfortunately, the library is closed tomorrow, but I will be attending a library board meeting on Tuesday, so will try and get there a little early to have a look through the city directories. As Christina and Bella are adults, they should be listed.

There were two Presbyterian Churches within the town limits at that time and a third in Korah township. Until the 1970s or 1980s, the largest portion of the population here was of British descent. At the time of their arrival, the town was very small and has only ever been as large as 85,000.

The local marriages, births and deaths were indexed from the newspaper announcements, so there may be something else there as well and cemetary records are also indexed.

Fingers crossed,

Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow

car

Post by car » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:00 am

Hi Frances

Post no 1 - thanks for the details from Ancestry. Nice to see the info in print.

Post no 2 - WOW!!!!! That is absolutely incredible - and so spooky!

I am sitting here just looking at the pc screen and don't know what to say......

Very many thanks for your help - anything further you come up with would be a thick layer of icing on the cake!! =D>

Fingers are all crossed

Christine

car

Post by car » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:11 pm

killearnan - my sincere apologies! I was so excited I didn't read the posts properly. :oops: Thank you so much for the information about the Lundie girls.......and then Frances actually living in Sault Ste Marie.....

When Frances gets a minute she is going to see if there is anything on the girls locally, so fingers crossed.

Many thanks

Christine.

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:53 pm

Hi Christine,

What were the girls parents names? There is a Canadian marriage for Isabella Arnot Lundie, age 24, parents Robert Lundie and Isabella Arnot in 1923 to Reginald Alexander Drury in Toronto, Canada. Christina Lundie is one of the witnesses.

Carol :D
Looking for: Clerihew, Longmuir/Longmore, Chalmers, Milne, Barclay in Newhills,
Munro, Cadenhead, Raitt, Ririe/Reary

car

Post by car » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:52 pm

Carol, what can I say.......

The girls' parents were Robert Lundie & Isabella Arnot right enough. Their mother died in 1906 and their father in 1910. The girls went into Dundee Orphanage in 1910 and, I guess, waited until Jane was old enough to leave - I would think about 1918 when she was fourteen - and then headed for Canada in 1919.

Isabella's date of birth is 12 September 1898.

Is the information available on line?

Thank you so very much. =D>

Regards

Christine.

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:11 pm

Hi again,

Good, she's yours! Yes, the information came from Ancestry.ca. I have a global subscription so I can access all of the Ancestry sites. If you can't get it with your subscription, pm me an email address and I'll try to send it through the Ancestry share feature.

Carol :D
Looking for: Clerihew, Longmuir/Longmore, Chalmers, Milne, Barclay in Newhills,
Munro, Cadenhead, Raitt, Ririe/Reary