Howard Glanville in Canada

Canada, USA, Mexico, Central America, South America, Carribean

Moderator: Global Moderators

trish1

Howard Glanville in Canada

Post by trish1 » Mon May 16, 2016 12:30 am

Howard Donald Glanville born in St Dennis Cornwall Dec Qtr 1907 - went to Canada in 1929. Shipping record

Howard Glanville aged 21 from St Dennis, St Austell left Southampton for Quebec Montreal Canada on the Ship Ascania, 18 May 1929. Listed as a miner intending to settle in Canada. A number of other young men from St Dennis were on the same ship.

I've not been able to find anything about Howard from this point onward. Any help much appreciated.

Trish

Laura

Re: Howard Glanville in Canada

Post by Laura » Wed May 18, 2016 4:04 am

Trish, could you give us some information about Howard GLANVILLE's descendants? Were they born in Canada?

Nothing came up anywhere for this name, other than the passenger list. I suspect a transcription error is why we couldn't find anything.

trish1

Post by trish1 » Wed May 18, 2016 7:22 am

Hi Laura

I know nothing about his descendants, I am trying to find out if he married/died in Canada. I only know of his siblings and parents/grandparents etc. Family stories said he emigrated after disputes with his family.
He was born Howard Donald Glanville in St Dennis Cornwall in 1907
GRO Index Birth Dec 1907 Glanville Howard Donald St Austell 5c 87 & can be found with his parents and siblings in 1911

1911 RG14/13779 Cornwall St Dennis
Carnegga Downs, St Dennis Cornwall
Tom Glanville head 28 married Clay labourer Cornwall St Dennis
Dorcas Glanville wife 30 married 6 5 5 -- Cornwall Roche Parish
William Ernest Hoare son 12 school Cornwall Roche
Edith Glanville dau 6 school Cornwall St Dennis
Doris Winifred do da 4 do do do
Howard Donald do son 3 -- do do
Annie Pearl do dau 11 months -- do do

His mother's maiden name was Hoare/Hore.

No sign of his marriage or death in England & the immigration seemed a very good fit - especially with all the young men from St Dennis - I wondered if they were sponsored by someone as they all probably had very little money.

Perhaps he changed his name so the family didn't find him? I've only ever found family in British Columbia - although they did land in Montreal & then travel to BC - I guess there is no reason why Howard may not have moved from Montreal.

Many thanks for looking

Trish

Quest

Post by Quest » Fri May 20, 2016 7:24 am

I found record of immigration into Canada. It is possible the original may show where his destination is.

Item: Howard D. Glanville
Given Name(s): Howard D.
Surname: Glanville
Nationality: En
Ship: ASCANIA
Port of Arrival: Quebec, Quebec
Date of Arrival: 1929-05-27
Year of Arrival: 1929
Volume Number: 7
Page Number: 108
Series: C-1-a
Microfilm Reel Number: T-14753
Reference: RG 76
Item Number: 176334

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/i ... ber=176334&
Surnames: Ross, Rae, Reid, Leslie, Donaldson, and other in and around Aberdeen & Kincardineshire.

trish1

Post by trish1 » Fri May 20, 2016 11:37 am

Brilliant Quest - didn't realise this was available from the archives. After a little confusion, I found and downloaded the image which tells me he was heading for the Hollinger Gold Mine - Timmins Ontario. Some of his travelling friends were related to a person at the mine. This gives me so much more to base further searches on.

many thanks

Trish

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Fri May 20, 2016 6:19 pm

Hello Quest and Welcome to Talking Scot! [talkingscot]

Thanks for making your first post one that helps another member. We'll try to help you out in turn when you run up against a brick wall!

Best wishes,
Sarah

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Sat May 21, 2016 12:08 am

Hi Trish,

In that record, I noticed that in very small print directly under Howard's info it said "Cousin, Cecil Magor Timmons, Ont." Do you think Cecil was Howard's cousin or one of the other fellows? Cecil shows up on Ancestry several times, but I haven't found anything on Howard in Canada except the immigration record.

Carol :D
Looking for: Clerihew, Longmuir/Longmore, Chalmers, Milne, Barclay in Newhills,
Munro, Cadenhead, Raitt, Ririe/Reary

trish1

Post by trish1 » Sat May 21, 2016 3:40 am

speleobat2 wrote:Hi Trish,

In that record, I noticed that in very small print directly under Howard's info it said "Cousin, Cecil Magor Timmons, Ont." Do you think Cecil was Howard's cousin or one of the other fellows? Cecil shows up on Ancestry several times, but I haven't found anything on Howard in Canada except the immigration record.

Carol :D
Hi Carol

I saw that - but it seems more likely he was the cousin & brother in law of a couple of the other chaps. In the column asking for "relatives in Canada" he put none. They all lived in the same part of Cornwall & the families were probably there for quite some time so I'm checking for any relationship. I've family who came to Australia based on recommendations of friends & relatives who came before them so it seems someone wrote home with promises of "the good life" in Canada

I also haven't found further trace of him anywhere. Ontario seems like Australia with restricted access to marriage/death records. I'm wondering if he may have served in WWII - can't find any records on that for Canada, although they have digitised WWI records and have them at the archives.

Trish

Quest

Post by Quest » Sat May 21, 2016 7:07 am

Canada observes the 100 year rule for records. I did look up service records for war dead, same website as above with no returns.

Mining provinces in Canada were/are predominantly British Columbia, Quebec and Ontario in case you wish to focus your search.

Good luck.

Sarah, thanks for the welcome. :D
Surnames: Ross, Rae, Reid, Leslie, Donaldson, and other in and around Aberdeen & Kincardineshire.

Laura

Post by Laura » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:59 pm

Quest wrote:Canada observes the 100 year rule for records.
Actually, privacy laws in Canada are more complicated than that. Birth, death and marriage records are under provincial, not federal jurisdiction. For example, my grandmother died in Saskatchewan in 1924 and her death still hasn't been indexed online and it is very complicated and expensive for me to try to get a copy of her death certificate. I live in British Columbia and the following screenshot shows the dates available for free vital records online through BC Archives.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-06-13 at 3.58.10 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-06-13 at 3.58.10 PM.png (56.63 KiB) Viewed 1576 times