Philadelphia passenger ships lists .....

Canada, USA, Mexico, Central America, South America, Carribean

Moderator: Global Moderators

CathieL

Philadelphia passenger ships lists .....

Post by CathieL » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:06 pm

Does anyone have access to the ships lists for Philadelphia, 1903 and 1907. I have my children's grear great grandfather in the Ellis Island list in 1908. The manifest says he was here in 1903 and 1907, I know this is correct but Ellis Island does not have him in those two years. He lived in Philadelphia until he died in 1938 and I have him and his family in the 1910 census, and the 1920. I have a great deal of information on him except for the years between 1903 and 1907 and I would love to be able to solve a little mystery which invoves those dates.
Cathie
Researching- Stewart. Connolly,McQuade, Coyle,Kelly, Farrell, McKenna, Ward. Kenny.

ASGROOMBRIDGE

Post by ASGROOMBRIDGE » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:12 pm

Hi Cathie,

Just off the top of my head could he have been sent back to Scotland in 1903 and not allowed into America, then went back again in 1907 and been accepted.

regards,
Audrey
Looking for McGowan Anderson Fleming Sommerville Waddell in Lanarkshire. Semple Murray Baird Thompson Hutchinson in Annan Dumfriesshire Baird and Hutchinson also in Kirkinner Wigtonshire and Semple family of Annan Glasgow and Edinburgh

CathieL

Post by CathieL » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:48 pm

Thank you Audrey for the thought but I am afraid I did not explain my story very well :oops: He was not from Scotland, he was from Norway and with the help of a fantastic Norwegian website which is very similar to this one I have traced his history back to 1498. It helped that the family lived in the same county for generations!
Here is my mystery.
Lars Larsen came to America from Norway in 1903 ( don't know which port).
Anna Prunkl came to America from Hungary in 1903- Ellis Island
Anna joined her sister Margret in Philadelphia
Lars and Anna somehow met and were married
They had a son Lars who was born "in Austria on the way to America" in June 1907.
They had another son Edward (my ex husband's father) in Philadelphia in 1910.
In the 1908 manifest Lars gives the address of Margret and her husband Jacob as the place he was going to. He calls Jacob his brother-in-law
I can find no record of Anna leaving the country and coming back in with a son in 1907
I think that Lars went back to Norway at the end of 1907 and came back January 1908 because his mother died in Norway.
I thought maybe The Philadelphia ships list might give me a clue.
I should maybe not be posting this on Talking Scot but I am so tired of my Scottish and Irish brickwalls I thought I would try to solve the last mystery of the Noregian side.
Cathie :?
Researching- Stewart. Connolly,McQuade, Coyle,Kelly, Farrell, McKenna, Ward. Kenny.

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:50 pm

Cathie,
What year was he born? The only person by that name who was not a child in 1903 is the following (but it says he was Swedish, not Norwegian):

Philadelphia Passenger Lists, 1800-1945 Record
Name:Lars G R Larson
Arrival Date:28 Apr 1903
Estimated Birth Year:abt 1862
Ethnic Background:swedish
Port of Departure:Liverpool, England
Ship Name:Haverford
Port of Arrival:Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Friend's Name:Herman Farins
Last Residence:Stockholm
Microfilm Roll Number:T840_42

Regards,
Sarah

CathieL

Post by CathieL » Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:44 am

Hi Sarah, thanks for looking. Lars Larsen was born in Lier, Buskerud, Norway in 1883. In the 1900 census he was living with his mother and sisters in Drammen, Norway.
On the Ellis Island record he came on the ship Arabic from Liverpool, January 26th 1908. He was 24 years old and was going to his brother-n-law Jacob Friedrich in Philadelphia. It was noted that he had been in Philadelphia in 1903 and 1907. I was just hoping that because I could not find any more records of him in Ellis Island then maybe the first two times he came in at Philadelphia instead of New York.
Anna arrived in Ellis Island on the ship August Victoria from Hamburg Sept.19th 1903. She was 17 years old and was going to her sister in Philadelphia.
I had thought at first that they had met on the ship but that is not working out and I won't be able to figure it out until I find Lars arrival in 1903.
Another brick wall, I think!

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:22 am

Hi again,

There was a Lars Larsen of the correct age who arrived in Boston in 21 April 1904, last residence, Norway, final destination Philadelphia

His contact info:
To my cousin Daniel W Horner (indexed as Dautel w Homer, take your pick)
c/o the Norw. Consul, Philadelphia, Penn.

Does this sound hopeful? He says that this is his first trip to the U.S.

Sarah

CathieL

Post by CathieL » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:05 pm

Hi Sarah
The date is off by a year but that does not always mean anything, I never thought of anywhere other than New York and Philadelphia, sometimes I get tunnel vision :) . He could have come in at any port and made his way to Philadelphia. This look like a couldbe so I will try to find out more about him.
Thanks for your help
Cathie