Finding a British subject in India?

India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, China, Siberia, Far East

Moderator: Global Moderators

StewL

Post by StewL » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:18 am

Hi Alan
It was a good find, first search and bang! there was the M.i.L's birth and parents, you can get lucky sometimes :D
I will have to speak to her and see if she knows her grandparents names, she is 78, but still sharp as a tac :lol: That could give me something to do on my days off :lol:
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

tishgibbons

Post by tishgibbons » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:18 pm

Stewie,

I can't add anything new but just to vouch for FIBIS. From an inscription on a gravestone in Crathie, I knew a LEYS ancestor had gone to India. FIBIS tracked down two marriages and two children for him, his death and where he's buried plus marriages for his two children. And charged so little!

Happy hunting!

Tish
Researching Mitchell Grassick Bowman Farquharson Wilson Allanach Leys Coutts Gauld McNerney from Crathie and Braemar, Strathdon and Glenbuchat and who moved on to Aberdeen, Glasgow, Ireland, Australia, India, Canada.

StewL

Post by StewL » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:50 am

Thanks Tish
I will consider that if I have to delve any deeper, will stick with trying to get some information from m.i.l. first :D
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson