Neighbouring Parishes around Middlebie Dumfries.....

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

doreen

Neighbouring Parishes around Middlebie Dumfries.....

Post by doreen » Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:16 pm

Hi
Can anyone let me know the names of neighbouring parishes, say within five miles, around the parish of Middlebie, Dumfries .

I,m looking for my gt/grandfather, his first wife lived in Middlebie prior to their marriage, approx 1842 . I may have found his wife on the 1841 census for Middlebie, as I could not find my gt/grandfather living there, I can only assume that he was living close by in another parish. (close enough to do his courting )

I want to purchase the 1841 cesus books, index named, so I need the names of the other parishes.
doreen

-------------------------------------------------------
Dumfrieshire- Buchanan, Blacklock.

CatrionaL

Post by CatrionaL » Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:50 pm

Hullo Doreen

Have you had a look at the FreeCen site?

http://freecen.rootsweb.com

In the Database there are entries for the 1841 Dumfries Census. There is one Buchanan family from Middlebie, but I don't know if Buchanan is your grandmother or grandfathers name. There are also lots of Blacklocks, in Middlesbie and elsewhere.

Hope this helps

Catriona

m

doreen

Parishes

Post by doreen » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:25 pm

Hi Catrional,
yes I have seen freecen census, I think the Buchanan there, is perhaps a relative of my gt/grndfather Christopher.
Dumfries and Galloway Council have the 1851 census on their Historical Index page, this is free to view. I found over 70 Buchanan's living in the different parishes of Dumfries and Galloway,some of them are most likely to be relatives.However, until I can pin down my gt/grandfather and his parental family, I will not Know.
Thank you for your reply.
doreen

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:20 am

Hi Doreen,

The GENUKI website has a parish map for Dumfriesshire, and Middlebie with its 6 parishes bordering it can be seen, and other close neighbouring parishes beyond that.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/DFS/parish_map.html

All the best,

Andrew Paterson

m

doreen

Parishes

Post by doreen » Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:16 am

Hi Andrew,
Thanks a lot , should be able to order the books today from Dumfries & Galloway FHS .
doreen