Lesmahagow.....

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

Scozzie

Lesmahagow.....

Post by Scozzie » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:26 pm

Does anyone live in or near Lesmahagow Lanarkshire? My family were recorded as living there in censuses taken in 1851, 1861 & 1881. Can anyone tell me if these four streets/addresses still exist please? I've tried looking at maps on the internet with no luck

Hazelbank (I don't know if that's a street, road, or the name of a place)
Littlegill Rows
4 Longlee Terrace
Auchenheath (Messrs Ferguson & Co Works) Newhouses.

I know Ferguson & Co owned coal mines, but why would the name of a company appear as their address? I know that Auchenheath is the name of a village.
Adam/Aird/Bell/Beveridge/Clark/Davidson/Dunn/Millar/Morning/ McKinlay/McVake/McVickers/Pryde/Robertson..... and Smith!

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:47 pm

Hi Scozzie,

Go to www.streetmap.co.uk and input postcode ML11 9XL for Hazlebank

Littlegill Rows (no sign of this one)

ML11 9UY is given for Longlea Terrace, Auchenheath in the Royal Mail postcode directory that I have (1998-1999). It no longer appears on their online postcode directory (or on the streetmap website). I suspect it may have gone in the recent past.

No sign of Fergusons, or Newhouses, Auchenheath in the postcode directory.

Ah well, 1 out of 4.

All the best,

Andrew Paterson

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:52 pm

Hazelbank and Auchenheath are villages both to the North of Lesmahagow.

I found Littlegill Rows on an old map [ 1864] of Auchenheath
go to: http://www.old-maps.co.uk/ put Auchenheath in as a place name , then pan east a couple of clicks and generate a 'enlarged map'

There's a Littlegill Farm there nowadays, on the road between Auchenheath and Hazelbank.

Longlee Terrace seems to have been in Auchenheath at some point [ a google search] but doesn't appear on a modern map. Auchenheath is about swallowed up in Kirkmuirhill now.

As to the firm's name in the address , the row of houses were very likely owned by the firm and on his land.

In short look a bit further afield than Lesmahagow it'self. I'm no expert on Parishes etc but that area probably came under that area name.

I hope this helps.
Now I strongly suspect that AndrewP will have beaten me to the punch here 8) yes he did :)

Scozzie - you're not looking for a David McKay are you ? he Died at Longlee Terrace, Auchinheath, Lesmahagow, Scotland 18 November 1880.
He had been awarded the Victoria Cross in 1857 in India.
Wilma

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:05 pm

WilmaM wrote:In short look a bit further afield than Lesmahagow it'self. I'm no expert on Parishes etc but that area probably came under that area name.
Auchenheath and Littlegill are both in the northern part of Lesmahagow parish. Go to http://www.nls.uk/digitallibrary/map/ea ... _list.html and select Sheet 23 - Hamilton. Lesmahagow is the large pink coloured parish in the middle of this map. Zoom in on the area just above the first R in LANARKSHIRE and you will find these places.

All the best,

Andrew Paterson

Scozzie

Post by Scozzie » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:43 am

Andrew & Wilma, thankyou so much! I'll have a look at those sites. I was in Scotland visiting relatives about five years ago, wish I'd been doing family research then, I could have gone to Lesmahagow.
Wilma - I don't know of any McKay's in my family.
Adam/Aird/Bell/Beveridge/Clark/Davidson/Dunn/Millar/Morning/ McKinlay/McVake/McVickers/Pryde/Robertson..... and Smith!