Rescivet - Chapel of Garioch, Aberdeenshire

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

Ted

Re: Rescivet - Chapel of Garioch, Aberdeenshire

Post by Ted » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:03 pm

Hi John

Apologies - I haven't been on this forum for a long time and have just noticed your post from 2010. I would appreciate if you can share info from the print out you have of cemeteries around C of G.

I am particularily interested in the surname Allan.

Regards

Ted
Looking for Allan / Gordon / Troup / McInnes / Grant / Taylor / Jackson from Aberdeen (city & shire) & Banffshire
Alexander / Allan / Stewart in W Lothian
Allan / Burnett in USA and Canada / Davidson & Philp in Fife and Lanarkshire

mcmon 30

Post by mcmon 30 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:18 am

Hi Ted,

Well its been a while. We have moved to central Victoria to where we started our life together some almost 60 years ago.

So I decided to give my brick wall another nudge.

I read the past notes and saw your last entry.

How did you go with that information.

If you could refresh me about the data you need I will see if I can find the appropriate box.

I did get some notion from the folks descended from Alexander - James parents may have come from Glass. ](*,) ](*,)

Hope to reconnect again

John

Ted

Post by Ted » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:07 pm

Hi John

Nice to hear from you. Been a while since I've been on this forum too. I'll look back on my records and get back to you soon. I would still be interested in any Allan's buried in chapel of Garioch - any info you have would be gratefully received. My James Allan was born Chapel of Garioch in 1836. Parents James Allan and Jane Aitken. James with parents on 1851 census in Inverurie aged 15 but disappears after that. Definitely did not die in Scotland.

Ted
Looking for Allan / Gordon / Troup / McInnes / Grant / Taylor / Jackson from Aberdeen (city & shire) & Banffshire
Alexander / Allan / Stewart in W Lothian
Allan / Burnett in USA and Canada / Davidson & Philp in Fife and Lanarkshire

McMon30

Post by McMon30 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:34 pm

Hi Ted,

I have just resurfaced after a few traumas and other events. But with this virus about I have reverted to writing the story of the More/Moir family.
It took me a while but I managed to get my membership in this forum renewed and here we are.
My research has filled in a few more gaps and I now have a few possibles for my James More born (now) 1783 and we have a few options. It ia a distinct possibility that James and Helen More were siblings and likely came from over past Inverness. The second possibility is that they may have come up from down near Edinburgh and settled in the Inveramsay area. That is where Helen was located when she married Jonathon Davies prior to james getting married in the Kirk at Chapel of Garioch.
Only yesterday I found another reference to possibility that there was a James More born in the Inverurie area in 1781 so I now will chase that one down.
In our last chat you were still looking for your James Allan. I found such a person in the CofG cemetery.
Profile photo: James Allan
James Allan
1800 – 16 Apr 1885 There is also a pic of the grave stone on the file.
I have almost nailed down all the buildings and happenings at Rescivet. I will endeavour to attach a pic. No good so send me an email address and I will send the grave and the map.

Hope you are keeping safe. Cheers for now

John

McMon30

Post by McMon30 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:36 am

Hi Everyone,

Just had a further breakthrough and I now have gone back another generation to another James Moir who married Ann Stephen in a place yet to be determined and they had the previous problem James MOIR (not More) born : 2/12/1796 in Inverurie. So now it is confirmed that his entry in each census was correct.
Now because I have been unable to find a marriage for James and Ann in Aberdeenshire or Banffshire has anyone access to IGI for other counties to find a possible marriage date and details.
In the birth notice for James (above) there was an Alexander Moir listed as a witness. Now all I have to do is find out if he was a brother or father. It appears that an Alexander had a child just before Ann and James. Not out of the question for that Alexander to be the father of the 21 year old James who gave rise to the family with Janet Davidson.
I tried to get a detailed birth certificate but it appears what I already have - is it.
There are some indications that This James may be connected to the Moir family living in Chapel of Garioch at that time. It also raises questions about the connection with James Moir who was the overseer at Caple Castle Farms.
Is there perhaps another resource that I may have missed? Could anyone with a really reliable resource when getting back this far in time, please provide the details. I would be most grateful. At 81 I am finding this modern technology helpful but you must take your time over it.

John

McMon30

Post by McMon30 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:48 am

Well a week is a long time in Genealogy - sometimes. That last message is now not in the calculations. By reassessing the various dates it i not a real possibility at all. The James that I suggested is far too young to be a possibility and I have tracked the suggested couple and there is absolutely no trace of them anywhere else in Scotland for a marriage or any other children so as there is a discrepancy of 17 years we are back at the previous problem. To wit:
James More or Moir could be born around 1779 in the Inverurie area. I now must go back to the possibility that his parents could be either James or Alexander and most likely Isabel. That is only a genuine guess!
It also means that the MORE surname is back on the table as well.
](*,)