Gellions Hotel Bridge St Inverness

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

trish1

Re: Gellions Hotel Bridge St Inverness

Post by trish1 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:11 am

Hi Rory

Living down under my timescale is a little different to Scotland, so what a delight to find your message this morning. Many thanks for finding & replying to my query. Most of my direct Scottish ancestors came from the Kingdom of Fife with a scattering in Perth or Midlothian so Inverness is a very new addition to my research.

I have seen that the hotel is very much part of the history of Inverness but as mentioned did not find alot of that history & how it would have been in the 19th century. My current research related to the history of a family of nine children born in Dorset 1812-1825. Emma Mcpherson (nee Miles) was the daughter of one of these families and finding her in Inverness was somewhat unexpected, but most interesting. It has also taken me about 4 years of looking to find her!

I would love some more history of the hotel and the times of the McPhersons - I have sent you a PM (private message) with my email address.

And to repeat Russell - A very warm welcome to the [talkingscot] forum. It seems appropriate to say [cheers]

Trish

Jenfef

Post by Jenfef » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:01 pm

Probably a bit too late as this thread is very old, but John MacPherson of the Geillons was my great-grandfather. I have information on him if you want to message me.

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:15 pm

Jenfef, no thread is 'very old' on Talking Scot.

I'm sure trish will be delighted to hear from you when she next comes along to visit, she well have had a notification of a reply to this thread already.
Wilma

trish1

Post by trish1 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:05 pm

Hi Wilma & Jenfef

I don't get thread notifications but I do get message notifications - so I have replied to Jenfef after receiving a pm. I think we are 4th cousins - no doubt to be confirmed. Slightly daunting that this thread is 10 years old - seems like yesterday I was researching this branch of my family.

regards

Trish