Where on earth is Tulachgrig?

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

Colinaffleck

Where on earth is Tulachgrig?

Post by Colinaffleck » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:52 pm

Hello all.
Brand new to the forum and greatly looking forward to joining in and helping out. And I thought I'd start with a real toughie. I'm looking the origins of Monikie Parish over in Angus (then run by Arbroath Abbey)and stumbled across the following passage:

"Peter de Ramsay 1247 – 1256
Abdn. Reg., ii, 38-50 (18 Apr.1256)
Promulgates statutes for Aberdeen Cathedral
A.B. Coll., 338 – 340 (22 Dec.1255)
Agrees arbitration between him and Arbroath Abbey in a dispute over the boundaries of
the land of Tulachgrig, which belongs to the bishop and church of Aberdeen, and the
land of Dessuenenin and Achlek, which belongs to Arbroath Abbey"

I have not been able to track down any location for (or evn any other reference to) Tulachgrig, Dessuenenin or Achlek. Any ideas out there? At this point I'll even accept wild guesses!
Colin
Looking at Afflecks, Auchinlecks, the 80+variations on their names and Lowland Geography.

Tracey
Global Moderator

Re: Where on earth is Tulachgrig?

Post by Tracey » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:22 pm

Hello Colin and welcome to Talking Scot [scotland-flag]

Sorry this is short and sweet but its almost my bed time.
I Googled the names you have had found these
http://www.arts.gla.ac.uk/scottishstudi ... .10.07.pdf
www.arts.gla.ac.uk/scottishstudies/charters/Acta.pdf
http://www.archive.org/stream/.../colle ... l_djvu.txt

...which have reference to two of the named places.

You may already have seen these but thought it worth a shot.
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:34 am

The oldest map I can find at NLS is this one from around 1640. If you find Glen Elk at the south east there is a place called Tulloch just south of Achlochy. They are certainly in roughly the right area but whether they are Tulach and Achlek is another story... :D :? .......well at least I tried.

Regards,
Annette

Colinaffleck

Post by Colinaffleck » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:42 pm

Hello Tracey and Anette
I'm almost certain I am not posting a reply to you both correctly. Ah well. New to the forum and I hope to improve with use. At any rate, Tracey, yes, I saw those sites. They led me to my present state of "being lost". They contain just enough info to tease. Stange that there is nothing else on the places out there. And Anette, no, I had not seen your map. Not sure if we have the right spot but I shall be running down those names and that area now, and we'll see what falls out of the tree. Many thanks to you both. Much appreciated.
Colin
Looking at Afflecks, Auchinlecks, the 80+variations on their names and Lowland Geography.