FALKIRK STREETS - for Nancy.....

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

WilmaM

FALKIRK STREETS - for Nancy.....

Post by WilmaM » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:20 am

Hi Wilma
I see you are Falkirk area Wilma,maybe you could help me here? I have THOMAS SEATON 32 in 1901 census at 1 WEST JOHN ST FALKIRK wife MARY DEAKIN 33 and daug ANNIE 1. ANNIE was born at 1BOYD ST. Parish of Grahamston. Are these adds still there or has there been a lot of change,just like Paisley?
Cheers Nancy.

Hello Nancy,
I've started another thread or we'll end up getting lost :?

Boyd Street:
is still there in Grahamston, just off Grahams Road running North out of the town, and just before the canal. The street used to end with a Chemical Works - backing on to the canal !

West John Street:
I can't find any trace of it at present.
However the next street north from Boyd Street is JOHN STREET !
My 1898 map stops just at Boyd street so I can't see if it used to be West John Street. and I can't get the old town plans on NLS site to come up :(
and the old maps site is a but smugged at that point too.

If I remember correctly, one side of Boyd Street has few buildings on it, and John Street is just a wee stub with a billboard at the edge - not the most salubrious part of town nowadays :roll:

Paisley has changed terribly recently hasn't it :cry:
I used to work there with the Health Board and travelled around all the primary schools through out Renfrewshire and Inverclyde so I know the streets well!
I only venture as far as the book shops at the old fire station now or I'd get lost!
Wilma

nancy

Post by nancy » Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:49 am

Hi Wilma,and thanks for your quick reply.We'll have to try and get through and get a wee "photie"of what's still there.Yes,there's a lot of changes in Paisley and not all for the best.I suppose the same's true of other places too,and they say it's progress.I know the wee book shop you're talking about.Isn't there some collection of books in there? Thanks again Wilma,Cheers Nancy.

nancy

Post by nancy » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:08 pm

Hi again Wilma :) Young Bruce is trying to come up from England,this Friday through to Monday.We'll try and get to Falkirk and get a few photies :D I have came across a photo i think of hubby's gramps,taken in a studio at 3 Vicar St Falkirk.Is there any chance this street's still there?Cheers Nancy

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:04 am

Vicar Street is still there and most of the buildings are older so I expect the original is still there.

I did think even the Photographers was still running, but the one I was thinking of [Bill Miller] is run from number 21 at present.

I can never remember just where Vicar Street starts and Kirk Wynd stops.
The Wynd runs down North from the High Street and at some point turns into Vicar street :roll: [ Falkirk streets have a bad habit of doing that - looks like a perfectly straight road through a village but there are 4 different addresses along it #-o ]

The Tourist Information in Glebe Street [ one street West from Vicar street] have some street maps and books on Falkirk history that you may find useful. And if you're a bargain hunter [A Paisley buddy couldn't be much else ;)] nip into Leckie's in Melville Street an Aladdin's cave of everything under the sun ! you may have to dig but there will be a bargain there....
Wilma

nancy

Post by nancy » Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:06 am

Thanks a lot Wilma for the info :) I'm looking forward to visiting Falkirk.Is Leckies open on Sunday,or would we be better going on Saturday?You know us Paisley Buddies very well Wilma.Always after a bargain :D On second thoughts,better make it Saturday as most charity shops don't open Sundays,and i just love to see what they have :lol: Will let you know how we get on :) Cheers Nancy.