Crawford Muir.....

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

joette
Global Moderator

Crawford Muir.....

Post by joette » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:43 am

Anybody help with info on Crawford Muir.Just discovered via the 1861 census thats where my Veitch GGGRandpa came from & not Eddlestone where he married.
I know it was famous for its lead mining but where can I find more.I think this might be the other side of the Family's Covenanters connection too.
Researching:SCOTT,Taylor,Young,VEITCH LINLEY,MIDLOTHIAN
WADDELL,ROSS,TORRANCE,GOVAN/DALMUIR/Clackmanannshire
CARR/LEITCH-Scotland,Ireland(County Donegal)
LINLEY/VEITCH-SASK.Canada
ALSO BROWN,MCKIMMIE,MCDOWALL,FRASER.
Greer/Grier,Jenkins/Jankins

CatrionaL

Post by CatrionaL » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:21 am

Hi Joette

A Google for "crawford+muir" gives 2 or 3 interesting articles.

Enjoy the read.

Catriona

Davie

Post by Davie » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:02 pm

Greetin's Joette
Like the ither DavidWW on here I have a great interest in the Covenanters.
Have plenty of books on the subject.
Are you related to William Vietch, who was a minister in Dumfries, an unsong Covenanter?

joette
Global Moderator

RE William Veitch

Post by joette » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:10 am

The answer is I dont know. Until this week with the release of the 1861 Census I thought that John Veitch was born Eddlestone & was long gone before 1861-how wrong can you be.Turns out he was born Crawford Muir which I know??? was a Covenanting area.However on the other side of the family(THe News of the Worlds but which side.)MY granny we have Covenanters who signed the flag-repudetly in their own blood which hangs or hung in the Art Galleries in Glasgow-Ive just had a "Mature moment" & cant remember its name but the one next to the Uni & the Western.My Granny told me but maybe thats another of her stories.
The Scotts who descended from the Veitches were a Non-Conforming lot.
John Veitch is presenting me with lots of conundrums but if I find any connection will let you know.
What books do you have - ISBN numbers if you know theyre still in print please.

DavidWW

Re: RE William Veitch

Post by DavidWW » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:21 am

joette wrote:The answer is I dont know. Until this week with the release of the 1861 Census I thought that John Veitch was born Eddlestone & was long gone before 1861-how wrong can you be.Turns out he was born Crawford Muir which I know??? was a Covenanting area.However on the other side of the family(THe News of the Worlds but which side.)MY granny we have Covenanters who signed the flag-repudetly in their own blood which hangs or hung in the Art Galleries in Glasgow-Ive just had a "Mature moment" & cant remember its name but the one next to the Uni & the Western.My Granny told me but maybe thats another of her stories.
The Scotts who descended from the Veitches were a Non-Conforming lot.
John Veitch is presenting me with lots of conundrums but if I find any connection will let you know.
What books do you have - ISBN numbers if you know theyre still in print please.
Kelvinside ...........

David

Davie

Post by Davie » Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:24 pm

Greetin's Joette

I have here in the Glasgow Flat

“The Scots Worthies” John Howie
“Traditions of the Covenanters” The Rev Robert Simpson
“The Covenants and the Covenanters” Introduction by James Kerr
“Men of the Covenant” Alexander Smellie
“Sweet Believing” Jock Purvis
“Recalling the Scottish Covenants” Hugh Watt
“The Reign of King Covenant” by Jane Lane
“Tercentenary of the National Covenant of Scotland 1638-1938” a Memorial Convention.
“Martyrs and Heroes of the Scottish Covenant” by Rev. George Gilfillan
“Martyrs Heroes and Bards of the Scottish Covenant” Rev George Gilfillan
“Light in the North” J.D.Douglas
“The Covenanters” Helen J. Guthrie
“The Covenanters in Moray and Ross” by Rev. M. McDonald
“Tales of the Covenanters by Robert Pollok
“The Persecuted Family” by R. Pollok
“Ralph Gemmell, Covenanters Story” by Robert Pollok
“Richard Cameron” John Herkless
“The Covenanters” Rev. J. Beveridge
“The Story of the covenanting Church” A. Balfour Symington
“The National Covenant in its British Context 1638-51” Editor John Morrill ISBN 0 7486 0203 8
“The Government of Scotland Under the Covenanters 1637-1651” Edited by David Stevenson. ISBN 0 906245 02 8
“The Scottish Covenanters” James Barr
“Heroes and Heroines of the Scottish Covenanters” by J. Meldrum Dryerre
“Tales of the Covenanters” Elizabeth W. Grierson
“The Scottish Covenanters” James D.D. Taylor
“The Black Book of Kincardineshire” By James Anderson

My Brother has some more at home.
Most of these are out of print but not rare,
When we had the bookshop they sold for between £6 to £10.
Have also got the CD of Martyrs Graves
Several books on Bliddy Clavers, King Charles, and Scottish Church History.

Here is pic of the Martyrs memorial in Glasgow’s Townhead.
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dauvit ... .dir=/dbc6
The other is the self explanatory.
Awrabest Davie

e-mail amended by moderator

joette
Global Moderator

CRawford Muir

Post by joette » Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:21 pm

I thought I had alot of books & you "had" a Book Shop that would be my dream but I would go bankrupt because I would be reading all the books myself & I would give them away to eager but financially poor readers.
I love my chuck but if it was a choice between eating/reading reading would win most times.
Now as you know so much where exactly is Crawford Muir & is it near Crawford john- I am hoping it is a bit like Dalmuir/Clydebank one time you might say I come from Dalmuir,the next Clydebank,the next MountBlow if you are a local you would know they are all in the same place just about but if not??
By the way your Dad is a handsome devil-do you take after him.?Could you put the names up or a site with the names of the Martyrs? 8)

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:42 pm

Davie wrote:Greetin's Joette

I have here in the Glasgow Flat

“The Scots Worthies” John Howie
“Traditions of the Covenanters” The Rev Robert Simpson

....snipped

“The Scottish Covenanters” James D.D. Taylor
“The Black Book of Kincardineshire” By James Anderson
Omigawd :!: , - and Ah thocht that Ah wis weel read in the context.

Jist one to add.

"As God is My Witness: The Presbyterian Kirk, The Covenanters, and The Uster Scots", Brian J Orr, published by Heritage Books Inc., 2002, ISBN 0-7884-2114-X.

With all due respect to the above authors listed by Davie, and I've read a good few of the books, Brian's book is the only one that I have ever read that is unbiased, dispassionate, and neutral in terms of the aim of the book being to tell it, as far as is possible at this remove, as it was in terms of the factual background, making it very clear where fact is involved, and where interpretation of the facts is involved, with no objective, obvious or disguised to prove a particular viewpoint.

Brian recently had another book published, by the same publishers, but on the wider theme of the Scottish reformation, - ""A Layman`s Guide to the Scottish Reformation".

In the near future there will hopefully be further book by Brian from the same publisher, working title "The Sojers are Comin'", - but that might vary according to the view of the publisher, - dealing with the so-called "killing times" - the particular period when, if you were a Covenanter and attended a remote hillside conventicle you were likely to be ridden down and killed out of hand by dragoons; or, if evidence was laid against you, dragged from your home and killed without trial, either there and then, or executed by means such as being staked out in the Solway Firth and left to drown as the tide came in .......

And that applied as much to anyone who refused to inform on their nearest and dearest...........
Davie wrote:My Brother has some more at home.
Most of these are out of print but not rare,
When we had the bookshop they sold for between £6 to £10.
Please, pretty please, can we have a list of your brother's books :roll:
Davie wrote:Have also got the CD of Martyrs Graves.
I'm beginning to suspect that you are a member of the anonymous group that, for several centuries, have regularly trekked into the remote hills of Lanarkshire, Ayrshire and elsewhere in the SW of Scotland, and maintained the covenanting memorials to an incredibly high standard :!:

David

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:09 pm

A covenanter query:

I'm interested in one Andrew Guillan/Guillane, buried near Magus Muir in Fife, the only one of the nine assassins of Archbishop Sharp to ever be executed specifically for his part in the murder. I found a few paragraphs about him on the web:
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/wwshack/Triv ... ryFife.htm
and here:
http://www.gairney.plus.com/Trivial_His ... s_Muir.htm
and he appears on the Fife FHS Death Index CD ROM as having lived at Balmerino, occupation weaver and martyr. died July 1683

Can anyone point me in the direction of where to find out a little more about his family background? Does he feature in any of the covenanter books?

Best wishes
Lesley

m
Researching:
Midlothian & Fife - Goalen, Lawrie, Ewart, Nimmo, Jamieson, Dick, Ballingall.
Dunbartonshire- Mcnicol, Davy, Guy, McCunn, McKenzie.
Ayrshire- Lyon, Parker, Mitchell, Fraser.
Easter Ross- McCulloch, Smith, Ross, Duff, Rose.

Davie

Post by Davie » Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:59 pm

David posted
With all due respect to the above authors listed by Davie, and I've read a good few of the books, Brian's book is the only one that I have ever read that is unbiased, dispassionate, and neutral in terms of the aim of the book being to tell it, as far as is possible at this remove, as it was in terms of the factual background, making it very clear where fact is involved, and where interpretation of the facts is involved, with no objective, obvious or disguised to prove a particular viewpoint.
Ye ur quite correct David
It is very difficult to get an unbiased account of any Covenanting books, written before the 1970s
99% of the ones I have are ideed biased accounts.
And I do have Brian Orr's book.
And lots more on Ulster Scots.
However, as we know during this period ALL books printed were biased in favour of the ruling government of the time.
If anyone wants any literature or books on the Covenanters they can E-mail me.
Last edited by Davie on Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.