WW1 Rememberance Day.....

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

BillyF

Post by BillyF » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:50 pm

I will join in the rememberance of my own Great Grandad Pte William Fleming S/21002 Cameron Highlandersdied of wounds on 4th March 1919 and my Grandad Seaman Henry Bennett sunk 200 miles of the Irish coast on the 23rd Jan 1941 on the S.S. Langleegrose. Gone but never forgotten . At The Going Down Of The Sun
And In The Morning
We Will Remember Them,.

Always in my thoughts
William Fleming
researching the Fleming,Bennett,Brannigan,Mooney,McIlroy, Stewart & Gamble families

Alison Plenderleith

Post by Alison Plenderleith » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:15 am

In memory of James Cornock. Able Seaman, Royal Navy. Died 24th May 1941 aged 25 on HMS Hood

joette
Global Moderator

Post by joette » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:55 am

I am a Beaver Scout leader & last night at our weekly meeting.we had a Minute Silence for Rememberance Day. These six-eight years old understood exactly what it was all about,the signifance of the Poppy-"grows well with lots of blood"
was how one put it. Some had Grandparents/GGGrandparents who had died served & were going to think of them today.
We are having a sponsored silence for a charity they have adopted -all I can say is going by last night their sponsors money is safe!! However it is heartwarming to realise that the youngest generation have the tie to the past that many feel is dying out.
Researching:SCOTT,Taylor,Young,VEITCH LINLEY,MIDLOTHIAN
WADDELL,ROSS,TORRANCE,GOVAN/DALMUIR/Clackmanannshire
CARR/LEITCH-Scotland,Ireland(County Donegal)
LINLEY/VEITCH-SASK.Canada
ALSO BROWN,MCKIMMIE,MCDOWALL,FRASER.
Greer/Grier,Jenkins/Jankins

CatrionaL

Post by CatrionaL » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:57 pm

Today, one of the six French soldiers still alive, who served in WWI was inteviewed on radio. Even from the distance of so many years, the particular horrors of that war were obviously still very present in his mind. The six of them are aged between 106 and 111 years old, 112 next month.

Catriona

StewL

Post by StewL » Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:39 am

We no longer have any First War veterans who served, the last one died last month.

Lest We Forget
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

JayPee

Post by JayPee » Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:54 am

I was out, getting my coffee from the coffee shop across the street from my workplace this morning, at about 10:45 AM local time. As I returned to work at about 10:55 I heard: the sound of a fairly old propellor-driven airplane with military markings, buzzing across the Toronto skyline. (I had a reminder on my computer to warn me that it was time to pause for a moment of silence, but I was not near the 'puter.) What a reminder...

It made several passes during the day. I spent more than "a moment of silence" remembering.

Rachel

ww1 rememberance day

Post by Rachel » Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:24 pm

:cry: and to echo the above sentiment. wear your poppy with pride "lest we forget" As one who listened to her dad's tales of world war 1 and who was influenced by his thoughts on war I would always give to poppy day. It's not Earl Haig who benefits but the soldiers and widows still with us who continue to need our help.
" and brithers be for aw that"
rachel.
searching. McFeeters,Finlayson,Baillie,Carey,Young,Fiskin and Lone/Loan Ireland,Scotland Glasgow and Perth.
Finlayson and Cooksley Chelsea Kensington and Somerset.

joette
Global Moderator

Post by joette » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:41 am

Maybe I should explain my anti-Haighness. My Grandfather was a veteran of the Boer War,the South African Police & WW1.He was very badly injured-an above knee amputee in one leg,large portion of skull removed but with permanent sinus which needed repacking & dressing every day & a "little whiff of gas".Despite this he retrained at Erskine Hospital as a Boot-repairer & walked to/from work every day from Dalmuir.He was an excellent "hands on" older Father to my Dad.
He occasionly had periods of bad health(flare-up of Malaria in which he would go "nuts" & wreck the house was how my Granny described it.) To me it sounds like either Post-Traumatic Stress or a irritation in the meninges of the Brain from his injuries or the malaria.
He was a proud man & my Granny would do extra work if needed.When the Earl Haig fund started up & my Grandpa was in a period of ill-health he asked for some financial assistance.I think my Father was a baby & needed things as Babies do.He was turned down on the basis that he had an Army Pension.So Earl Haigs name & Poppies were mud in the Jock Scott household.He felt that the only people benefiting were the Officers.
That was his opinion & not one that I feel is true today & hence why I aleays wear my Poppy with pride.His brothers Widow was also treated with similiar disdain from the Earl haig fund as she had A War Widows pension.This despite the fact she was in poor health with a heart condition & a young son born posthoimusly to his Father.
Researching:SCOTT,Taylor,Young,VEITCH LINLEY,MIDLOTHIAN
WADDELL,ROSS,TORRANCE,GOVAN/DALMUIR/Clackmanannshire
CARR/LEITCH-Scotland,Ireland(County Donegal)
LINLEY/VEITCH-SASK.Canada
ALSO BROWN,MCKIMMIE,MCDOWALL,FRASER.
Greer/Grier,Jenkins/Jankins

Rachel

ww1 rememberance day

Post by Rachel » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:38 pm

:? hello joette. your probably wondering why i have suddenly popped up again, the fact is my son moved my pc for me at the weekend and i have been unable to send anything out since. i decided to try and fix it myself so got on my hands and knees and crawled all around the back checking all sorts of things and would you believe it he had failed to connect my modem. anyway we are back.
I was sorry to read of the hard time your family had with the Haigh fund. as one who stood on many a chilly street in Glasgow Birmingham and Nuneaton selling poppies I innocently believed I was helping our soldiers of any war. My dad was not an admirer of Haigh and as a reader of history and the war poets i did not give much credit to the generals who were in charge. Apart from my own family i worked with many former service men who had been cruelly affected by their service in the armed forces both first and second world wars and other conflicts. i also did voluntary work for BLESMA and can appreciate how you might feel about the lack of help for your folk when needed.
We can only hope that our present day victims of " mans"inhumanty to man are treated more kindly.
kind regards rachel.
searching. McFeeters,Finlayson,Baillie,Carey,Young,Fiskin and Lone/Loan Ireland,Scotland Glasgow and Perth.
Finlayson and Cooksley Chelsea Kensington and Somerset.