Woodside, Glasgow.....

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

ninatoo

Woodside, Glasgow.....

Post by ninatoo » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:34 am

Can someone please tell me which district Woodside was/is a part of?

I have a very elusive ancestor who gives it as her birthplace, and so if I know the district or parish or whatever it is, I might have a better chance of finding her.

Thanks for reading!

Nina

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:37 am

Woodside is near the centre of the city.

between Garscube Road and Great Western Road as they head NW out of the city to the North of the M8 motorway.

The postcode G3 6JX will help you locate the general area on www.multimap.com

As far as what district to loook under on Scotlands People is concerned I'm not sure.
The nearer ones would be Park, Maryhill, Kelvin, Glasgow or Clyde.

But hopefully an expert will be able to tell you exactly.

m
Wilma

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:07 pm

Thanks Wilma,

I do appreciate the reply.

It is interesting that my granny lived in Northwoodside Road, not far from the area. A lot of my ancestors in that branch lived in an area of perhaps only a few miles square. I don't think my family were movers and shakers until my dad's generation...then they all left Glasgow for various parts of the globe!

Nina

AnnetteR

Post by AnnetteR » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:24 pm

Hi Nina

I grew up in Gt Western Road, Kelvinbridge and our building was directly opposite the beginning of North Woodside Road. I have walked that road a million times and parts of it you would not recognise from bygone days however, if you know the number of the house I can take a walk down there and check to see if it is still there.

Just give me a shout

Cheers

Annette R
-----------------------------------------------------
Researching in Fife: Wilson, Ramsay, Cassels/Carswell, Lindsay, Millar, Bowman and many others.
In Glasgow and West of Scotland: Aitchison, Wilkinson, Keenan, Black, Kinloch and Leiper.

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:26 pm

Thanks for the offer Annette. I do know that 91 Northwoodside Road is still there, as it was newer buildings! However there are 2 other addresses in that area I am curious about...3 Windsor Terrace and 58 Napiershall Street. My Gran lived in both of these. If you are out and about I would appreciate it if you would look for them!

Nina

Dennis

Post by Dennis » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:56 pm

Wow! Is 87 North Woodside Road there?

I've also got a connection to Windsor Terrace.

dennis
Names of interest: Lennox McKenna Airth Skirving Veitch Laird Drysdale Bennett Colledge Baird Blades Barker Dow Mitchell Perkins Rielly Stewart Tulloch Wright Ure, Ritch Richardson, Whyte
Places of Interest: Dunbarney, Forfar, East London (S.Africa)

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:53 am

ninatoo wrote:Thanks for the offer Annette. I do know that 91 Northwoodside Road is still there, as it was newer buildings! However there are 2 other addresses in that area I am curious about...3 Windsor Terrace and 58 Napiershall Street. My Gran lived in both of these. If you are out and about I would appreciate it if you would look for them!

Nina
Hello Nina,

There is a whole saga on Windsor Terrace on the board. take an asprin and click here.

I would think from the other info you have that your Gran's Windsor Terrace is the same place as Dennis's mum lived. It's all pretty well modernised now as you may gather from the photo.

Regards,
Annette M

( Noo don't be gettin' the 2 Annette's mixed up. Annette R lives north o' the river an' ahm a sou'sider.)
Wur ra best o' pals but an' hiv ra same taste in men!!

She's also better at writing 'The Glasgow Patter'.

Dennis

Post by Dennis » Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:59 am

Annette,

We are talking about the Windsor Terrace that is still called that and not the posh one that got renamed are we? I'm associated with the one that still has that name.

dennis
Names of interest: Lennox McKenna Airth Skirving Veitch Laird Drysdale Bennett Colledge Baird Blades Barker Dow Mitchell Perkins Rielly Stewart Tulloch Wright Ure, Ritch Richardson, Whyte
Places of Interest: Dunbarney, Forfar, East London (S.Africa)

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:22 am

Thanks Annette 2! :D

My Windsor Terrace is the one off Maryhill Road I believe, but will confirm this with my Dad. So it seems it is still there but not much left, according to the other thread. Interesting.

Thanks!

Nina

AnnetteR

Post by AnnetteR » Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:55 pm

nelmit wrote:
ninatoo wrote:Thanks for the offer Annette. I do know that 91 Northwoodside Road is still there, as it was newer buildings! However there are 2 other addresses in that area I am curious about...3 Windsor Terrace and 58 Napiershall Street. My Gran lived in both of these. If you are out and about I would appreciate it if you would look for them!

Nina
Hello Nina,

There is a whole saga on Windsor Terrace on the board. take an asprin and click here.

I would think from the other info you have that your Gran's Windsor Terrace is the same place as Dennis's mum lived. It's all pretty well modernised now as you may gather from the photo.

Regards,
Annette M

( Noo don't be gettin' the 2 Annette's mixed up. Annette R lives north o' the river an' ahm a sou'sider.)
Wur ra best o' pals but an' hiv ra same taste in men!!

She's also better at writing 'The Glasgow Patter'.
Hi Nina

I will be going down to the Doc's next week and I walk through Napiershall Street to get there so I will check it out for you. Let me know when you have sorted out which Windsor Terrace it is that you want.

Annette M

Thanks fur ra compliment aboot the patter but ye underestimate yersell :)

Cheers

Annette R
-----------------------------------------------------
Researching in Fife: Wilson, Ramsay, Cassels/Carswell, Lindsay, Millar, Bowman and many others.
In Glasgow and West of Scotland: Aitchison, Wilkinson, Keenan, Black, Kinloch and Leiper.