Woodside, Glasgow.....

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:47 am

Dennis wrote:Annette,

We are talking about the Windsor Terrace that is still called that and not the posh one that got renamed are we? I'm associated with the one that still has that name.

dennis
Yes Dennis it's the one I took the photograph of.

Annette M

AnnetteR

Post by AnnetteR » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:01 pm

ninatoo wrote:Thanks for the offer Annette. I do know that 91 Northwoodside Road is still there, as it was newer buildings! However there are 2 other addresses in that area I am curious about...3 Windsor Terrace and 58 Napiershall Street. My Gran lived in both of these. If you are out and about I would appreciate it if you would look for them!

Nina
Hi Nina

Just back from the Doc's and I checked out Napiershall Street for you. Sadly where No: 58 would have been has been replaced by 'Modern Day' flats. Had they lived nearer the Gt Western Road end you would have been in luck as they still appear to be the old buildings. If you remember Napiershall Street School, which would have been roughly opposite No: 58, it is still there but is no longer a school. It is some sort of Community Centre now but the building is pretty much in it's original state. I'm afraid I didn't get to Windsor Terrace today as it would have taken me slightly off route and I was busy ducking in and out of shops for dreaded Xmas pressies. Next time I am down I will have a look.

Sorry it wasn't better news.

Cheers

Annette R
-----------------------------------------------------
Researching in Fife: Wilson, Ramsay, Cassels/Carswell, Lindsay, Millar, Bowman and many others.
In Glasgow and West of Scotland: Aitchison, Wilkinson, Keenan, Black, Kinloch and Leiper.

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:20 am

Awwww thank you for looking Annette! I appreciate it very much.

I used to live in Raeberry Street, by the way, as a wee one. We came to Australia in 1965. I know that house isn't there anymore because I looked once when I was visiting in 1987. I remember there was a small shop across the road, which wasn't there either! Oh well, things change!

Thanks again.

Nina

AnnetteR

Post by AnnetteR » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:44 pm

My pleasure Nina

I think Raeberry Street is the most changed in all of that area - hardly recognisable to when I was a girl.

Maybe we'll have some luck when I get round to going to Windsor Terrace.

Cheers

Annette R
Researching in Fife: Wilson, Ramsay, Cassels/Carswell, Lindsay, Millar, Bowman and many others.
In Glasgow and West of Scotland: Aitchison, Wilkinson, Keenan, Black, Kinloch and Leiper.

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:26 am

Annette,

Just spoke to my dad who told me it was Windsor Street, not Terrace, and he thinks the bit he lived in isn't there anymore. It was still off Maryhll Road.

Nina

AnnetteR

Post by AnnetteR » Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:57 pm

ninatoo wrote:Annette,

Just spoke to my dad who told me it was Windsor Street, not Terrace, and he thinks the bit he lived in isn't there anymore. It was still off Maryhll Road.

Nina
Hi again Nina

I'll check it out for you next time I'm down there. Is it still No: 3 you are looking for?

Cheers

Annette R

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:47 pm

Hi Annette,

Yes, number 3.

Nina

AnnetteR

Post by AnnetteR » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:10 pm

ninatoo wrote:Annette,

Nina
Hi Nina

So so sorry for the time I have taken to get your info for you :oops: . I was down that way today in the snow and sludge (do I pick the days to go out or what) and although Windsor Street is still standing together with the pub on the corner called the Royalty Bar (not sure if it has always been called that, perhaps your dad will know) I could not see number 3. Typical isn't it. Never mind, it has been replaced by a wee community park thingy which is better than a big concrete box! The pub is on the corner of where the even numbers to the building are and they are still standing so if you are looking from Maryhill Road the tenemants on the right are still there. I didn't take a note of the numbers still standing as by that point I just wanted to get out of the slush and home to the fire. If you want to know any more about the area just give me a shout and I promise I'll try not to take so long next time.

Regards
Annette R

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:22 pm

Oh Annette!

I heard the snow was just terrible in Glasgow right now....you shouldn't be out in it!!! But thanks for looking for the house anyway, I do appreciate it.

I found out from my Dad that number 3 was like a lower house, lower than the pavement without being a basement, if you know what I mean. If it is still there, that may have made it more difficult to find.

Here is something interesting which may or may not be connected to the area. I found this topic on another site:

http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/vie ... sc&start=0

It talks of an old house called Woodlands or Woodside, and there is a photo. I have no idea if it is in the same area, but I just thought I would mention it.

Nina