The "General Wade" Roads.....

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

DavidWW

The "General Wade" Roads.....

Post by DavidWW » Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:09 pm

The beautiful photo of the remains of the Carr bridge on the new front page for the site led me to think that it could be an idea to explain the origin of this bridge, and the link to the “transport revolution” in Scotland.

Local Geography
=============

Until the eighteenth century, it took ten days to travel from Inverness to Edinburgh. The Government's need to police Jacobite areas led to General Wade's programme of military road building from the 1720s, which the Jacobites used to hasten their successful advance south in 1745!

General Wade's roads vastly improved communication. Private 'turnpike' companies improved main roads in the Lowlands and were allowed to charge users tolls, which limited their use due to the expense. Canals, beginning with the Forth-Clyde Canal in 1790, provided a cheaper alternative for heavy goods. The Highland Canals (Caledonian – 1822, and Crinan - 1801) shortened sea routes but their many locks meant new, bigger steam powered ships found the old route faster.

Local Geography/History
===================

After the opening of the Crinan Canal in the early 1800s it was much easier for someone living in the Inner and Outer Hebrides to travel to Glasgow, never mind the attraction of the City of Glasgow in employment terms …… Then there was the Caledonian Canal between Fort William and Inverness

General George Wade
================

“If you had seen these roads
before they were made,
You would hold up your hands
and bless General Wade.”. ...

Major General George Wade was appointed Commander-in-Chief Scotland in 1724 with responsibility for disarming the rebellious clans and subduing the Highlands, following the '15 rebellion. Between 1725 and 1740 he built 238 miles of military roads. These roads were almost all in points of, or leading to, military importance. He used local stone and unskilled military labour to build his roads, which were constructed using Roman road building techniques. A typical military road consisted of a base layer of large boulders with broken stone packed into any spaces and an upper layer of at least 600mm of gravel, often giving a total thickness of up to 2 metres. Although the roads were criticised as they were often steep, uneven and poorly drained, they inspired a flurry of road building in England.

Many still exist in an amazingly good state of repair where they haven't been overbuilt by subsequent development despite a century or more of neglect, - a tesament to the quality of the original design and construction .

General Wade/Major Caulfield
======================

Wade appointed Major William Caulfield as his Inspector of Roads in 1732 and it was he who succeeded Wade when he left Scotland in 1740. Although less well known than Wade, Caulfield oversaw the construction of a further 748 miles of road between 1740 and his death in 1767.

See http://talkingscot.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-75 for a map of the Wade/Caulfield maps. (Please note that this representation of the map is © David W Webster Jan 2005)

The Carr bridge stems from the Wade/Caulfield programme of road building. Only the arch survives. The road bed on what was called a rubble base would have been retained by the side walls that no longer exist.

There are 2 major road bridges and many, many lesser bridges that, with appropriate repair and maintenance from that time onwards, are still in regular use today !!

As some of you will be aware I write articles for UK and N American genealogical magazines. Most of these are commissioned by the editors, but it occasionally happens that a post here or in similar DGs or via email sparks off an idea in my mind for an article, that, in this case will most likely take up several hours of my time tomorrow :!: 8) , - working title “The Transport Revolution in Scotland”, demonstrating how, in little more than one and a half a centuries the developments of the canals, roads and railways in Scotland led to a revolution in the mobility of people ...............

Orraverybest

Davie
Last edited by DavidWW on Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

AndrewP
Site Admin

Correction to Davie's geography

Post by AndrewP » Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:39 pm

As a correction to Davie's geography, the bridge pictured in my photograph in Carrbridge is the 1717 packhorse bridge (also known as the "coffin bridge" as one of its original purposes was to allow the deceased and the funeral party to get to Duthil Church). Wade's road and bridge (Sluggan Bridge) of c.1729 can be seen two miles upstream (approximately west) on the River Dulnain.

These can be seen on the website of a former work colleague of mine.
http://www.goldenspurtle.com/sluggan.htm
http://www.goldenspurtle.com/carrbridge.htm

All the best,

Andrew Paterson

m

DavidWW

Re: Correction to Davie's geography

Post by DavidWW » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:08 pm

AndrewP wrote:As a correction to Davie's geography, the bridge pictured in my photograph in Carrbridge is the 1717 packhorse bridge (also known as the "coffin bridge" as one of its original purposes was to allow the deceased and the funeral party to get to Duthil Church). Wade's road and bridge (Sluggan Bridge) of c.1729 can be seen two miles upstream (approximately west) on the River Dulnain.

These can be seen on the website of a former work colleague of mine.
http://www.goldenspurtle.com/sluggan.htm
http://www.goldenspurtle.com/carrbridge.htm

All the best,

Andrew Paterson
Now he tells me :!:

But let that be a lesson to everyone in terms of not making assumptions without checking them out first.

Mea culpa :oops:

Interesting to note that Wade bridge still has its road bed left -
http://www.goldenspurtle.com/sluggan.htm - although only built 12 years after the packhorse/coffin road bridge, which only has its arch left. But that massive crack on the left hand approach structure to the "Wade" bridge looks most ominous! :shock:

Andrew, I've done enough for today :!: , you're gonnae hiv tae explain what (a) pack roads were, and (b) much more interesting, what "coffin roads" were, - related, interestingly, to a fundamental difference in funeral customs between Scotland and England that persists to the present day, and involves the beautiful Auld Scots word "purvey" ..........

I can still recall with fascination the confusion on the part of all the English friends of my Aunt Margaret when I went out to arrange her funeral in 1991 near Lagos in the Algarve - from visiting her in the decade or so leading up to that I can still remember when Albufeira was a beautiful wee Portuguese fishing village with just a few hotels and apartment blocks, - the English confusion resulting from the fact that there was naturally a full meal after the service and the interment (which couldn't actually take place until the following day as the grave was flooded on the day!!) - the local Scots who had been among her friends were equally amused over the English confusion ............... A funeral without purvey?!, ... Naw, cannae be a richt proper funeral, can it ?!

RIP Margaret Yorkston PONTIFEX MS JACK. (Anyone care to speculate on the origin of her married surname ?!)

See Andrew's explanation of coffin roads :!:

Davie

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:20 pm

DavidWW wrote:Interesting to note that Wade bridge still has its road bed left -
http://www.goldenspurtle.com/sluggan.htm - although only built 12 years after the packhorse/coffin road bridge, which only has its arch left. But that massive crack on the left hand approach structure to the "Wade" bridge looks most ominous! :shock:
Not to worry about the ominous crack. It was repaired during the 2001-2002 renovation work shown on that webpage - see the pictures further down that page.
DavidWW wrote:Andrew, I've done enough for today :!: , you're gonnae hiv tae explain what (a) pack roads were, and (b) much more interesting, what "coffin roads" were, - related, interestingly, to a fundamental difference in funeral customs between Scotland and England that persists to the present day, and involves the beautiful Auld Scots word "purvey" ..........

See Andrew's explanation of coffin roads :!:
I'll have to do my homework now. No answers to hand.

All the best,

Andrew Paterson

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:55 am

AndrewP wrote:I'll have to do my homework now. No answers to hand.
"Pack Road" - route taken by pack horses - early form of long-distance haulage as far as I can see.

"Coffin Road" - all I can find seems to be the road to the Parish Churchyard. No doubt we will be enlightened by further reply that there is more of an explanation than that.

As far as I can find is that the "purvey" is the meal after a funeral (a fine tradition in Scotland). The origin of the word appears to be the same as that of purveyor, from the French languauge, with some meaning from "to provide".

Awaiting Davie's further reply(ies),

Andrew Paterson

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:07 am

AndrewP wrote:
AndrewP wrote:I'll have to do my homework now. No answers to hand.
"Coffin Road" - all I can find seems to be the road to the Parish Churchyard. No doubt we will be enlightened by further reply that there is more of an explanation than that.

As far as I can find is that the "purvey" is the meal after a funeral (a fine tradition in Scotland). The origin of the word appears to be the same as that of purveyor, from the French languauge, with some meaning from "to provide".

Awaiting Davie's further reply(ies),

Andrew Paterson
The ancient tradition in Scotland was that someone was buried in the parish of their birth, which sometimes meant that the coffin had to be carried to that parish, often over a considerable distance, and via what came to be known as coffin roads, by teams of 4 or 6 or more x 6 men, following which effort, they certainly needed sustenance!

Allied to this is the Scottish tradition that the female relations did not attend the actual interment . As recently as 1961, after the service in the house in Ayr, my mother and his daughters, albeit from a previous mariage, did not accompany the cortege to Girvan where my father was interred.

Davie

sporran

Re: General Wade

Post by sporran » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:14 am

Hello all,

I know about this subject through a strange route. When I started at Leeds university in 1966, I was in a hall of residence, and a group of us from one floor went on a pub crawl (you do, don't you!). The first pub that we went into was "The General Wade", an octagonal building at the back of the Merrion Centre. The walls had big murals of General Wade and various scenes of his roads, and there were several frames on the wall that explained the history of his exploits. The pub is still there, although not called the same, and it may have been a very early example of a themed pub.

Regards,

John

ellenavon

Post by ellenavon » Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:17 pm

Hi All

this thread brought back very happy memories for me. As a child in Grantown on Spey, we used to take a short cut from the south (or is it west?) end of the town down to the Spey on summer days to swim at a smashing wee "beach", via what we knew as "General Wade's road".
Not sure if it really was that, but can only assume so.
It was a beautiful walk through the woods on what was by then (1960's) a very broad hard packed earth path.
I assume its still there now, although haven't been down it in many a year.

Regards

Ellen.
Researching: Grant; MacIntosh; Wright; Parley; Souter; Jaffray; Sangster; all North East & Speyside and Sutherland, Glasgow then Sutherland County; Buchanan, Stirlingshire; Lamond, North East; Stronach, Morayshire to name but a few!

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:08 pm

ellenavon wrote:Hi All

this thread brought back very happy memories for me. As a child in Grantown on Spey, we used to take a short cut from the south (or is it west?) end of the town down to the Spey on summer days to swim at a smashing wee "beach", via what we knew as "General Wade's road".
Not sure if it really was that, but can only assume so.
It was a beautiful walk through the woods on what was by then (1960's) a very broad hard packed earth path.
I assume its still there now, although haven't been down it in many a year.

Regards

Ellen.
Near certainly a Wade road, or mibbe a Caulfield road, - puir mannie, he built 80% o' the military roads, but Wade goat orra credit (and remember!, -there's no "F" in credit :!: )

Davie

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:10 pm

You can walk one of General Wades roads from a place just east of the Pass of Glencoe, all the way to Kinlochleven. There are many fine,random stone bridges on this route under which one can take shelter from the rain. I know one or two things about this predicament in this part of the world. That the road accross Ranoch Moor is still in place is testament to a fine example of early civil engineering.
I was informed that it is possible to follow this road all the way to Glasgow. It may be that much if not all of it is now called the West Highland Way although i'm not sure that it follows General Wade's route faithfully.
If ever you have a week or just a couple of days to lose and fancy a wander in the hills. this is the place to be. Here, at the right time of year, you will meet people from around the world all following this ribbon of history between Glasgow and Fort William. in a setting that will often take your breath away. It's a Socio, historic adventure, with knobs on.
Do i sound like a tourist guide? I should be getting paid for this.

Malcolm
ps: if you go at the wrong time of year, you might meet me!
Morris (formerly Morrice) of Fife and Geekie of Scone