Locations in Glasgow and Bellshill.....

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

Thistlealb

Locations in Glasgow and Bellshill.....

Post by Thistlealb » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:30 am

Finally got up the nerve to jump in! I have been lurking about for the last three months or so and am really enjoying the various groups.

I have questions about the following locations.

An 1875 BC indicates place of birth as 34 Paterson Street, Hagens in the District of Tradeston. I can find Paterson Street and Tradeston. Was Hagens an area in Tradeston at that time?

An 1893 BC indicates place of birth as Paterson's Land, Bellshill. I can't find any reference to Paterson's Land (except one in Edinburgh).

An 1898 BC indicates place of birth as Motherspoons Land, Motherwell Road, Bellshill. Can't find a reference to ML.

Any information or pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks
Stewart

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:33 am

Hi Stewart

Glad you decided to jump in...you'll find the water is really fine ! 8)

I'm no expert on Scottish locations...but when I run a search on my 1881 census disks in search of the addresses you've listed I find that there are a whole bunch of location names as "someone's land" and they are all in the parish of Bothwell....but it appears that some folks enumerated on the 1881 census as living in Bothwell names their place of birth as Bellshill...even a 1 month old baby....which makes me think that Bothwell and Bellshill might be the same area! There are several families listed as living on Paterson's Land. Now oddly enough there doesn't seem to be a Motherspoon Land address...but a search on Motherspoon turns up 1 little entry....and it's Mrs. Motherspoon who lives in Bothwell...hmmmmm

Dwelling: Crossgates
Census Place: Bothwell, Lanark, Scotland
Source: FHL Film 0203616 GRO Ref Volume 625-1 EnumDist 11 Page 9
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
(Mrs) MOTHERSPOON W 74 F Stonehouse, Lanark, Scotland
Rel: Head

As for th 34 Paterson Street.....haven't found any reference to Hagens yet. Hopefully someone who knows Tradeston will come along and lend a further helping hand.

Hope this is somewhat helpful!

Best wishes
Jean

m

ps....and when you google on Bothwell Bellshill you can find a neat little description of the mining village of Bellshill here:

http://www.mining-villages.co.uk/9.html

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:00 am

Hello Stewart

Welcome to TS

I know nothing about that location either but have needed to find a site that has street names that have changed in Glasgow - the best of which i cant find :evil: :!: But the closest i have seen is
Old name Paterson Street, Anderston - new name, William Place, C3
Paterson Street, off Rottenrow Hume Street, C4

on http://www.glasgowguide.co.uk/info-streetschanged3.htm

Tracey

m
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings

Thistlealb

Post by Thistlealb » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:21 am

Thanks Jean. Bellshill is in the Parish of Bothwell. I've been looking at some old OS maps of the area in the hopes of finding the names but so far no luck. Will keep digging. The mining village site will come in handy since I have ancestors involved in the mining industry.

Thanks to you too , Tracey. I don't think the street changes you found for Paterson Street were in the Tradeston area. I have a 1988 Glasgow map that shows the street in Tradeston. Thank you for the Glasgow guide site.
Stewart

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:58 am

The usage "land" very often confuses people.

It's the old Scots word that can also mean the close, (passageway) running off a street, hence Paterson's Land, Whatever Street. Most often the close would be the entrance to a multi-storey tenement building, so that there could be 16 or more families with the same street address.

Off High Street in Edinburgh, a land often leads to many more buildings behind the tenement that fronts onto the road. I suspect that this was also the case anywhere else where land was at a premium, or people had a requirement to live in that particular location. (No commuter suburbs with good transport in those days!)

The only place in Scotland where I'm aware that the names of the lands have survived unaltered is Edinburgh, hence the Paterson's Land that you found in Edinburgh, but there was obviously one in Bellshill as well!

The name given to a land most often links back to a landlord, sometimes a famous person whose lodgings were in that land, - in Edinburgh, the poorer you were the higher up the building you lived !!

Originally, when the landlord changed or the aristocrat moved somewhere else, the name of the land changed as a result, but at some time in history, - in the 1800s I suspect, - the names of the lands became frozen in time.

David

CatrionaL

Post by CatrionaL » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:34 pm

hullo Stewart

Could "Motherspoon" possibly be "Wotherspoon"? The latter is a fairly common name in that area of Lanarkshire.

Best wishes

Catriona

scotmum

Post by scotmum » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:22 pm

Patersons Land was in Cross Gates, Bellshill (out of interest, what was the family surname?) near the Orbiston pits. Motherwell Road was nearby.

There was a place known as Wotherspoons Cottage in the Parish of Bothwell, but not aware of exact location.

Also, a Wotherspoons Land in Holytown and one in Old Monkland (Coatbridge area).