Two addresses in 1944.....

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

garibaldired

Two addresses in 1944.....

Post by garibaldired » Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:37 pm

From a death extract I've found two addresses. One is that of the deceased person and the other the informant his son.
They are 3 Clark St Clydebank and 340 Dumbarton Rd Dalmuir. Is there any way I can find out who else lived at these addresses? Unfortunately it relates to 1944, so The Glasgow Story isn't any help.
Grateful for any ideas.

Meg

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:52 pm

Meg

You need to have a look at, or get someone to have a look at the voters' rolls, and valuation rolls for those dates.

As a very long shot you could try letters if no-one here comments that the addresses no longer exist.

David

garibaldired

Post by garibaldired » Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:07 pm

David,

It wouldn't be the first time I'd tried that either - with very mixed results!

Is it at The Mitchell the looking up would need to be done?

Meg

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:20 pm

Hi Meg,

If you can get a look at the voters' rolls for these places and years, you should be able to see the names of all those of voting age. I don't know whether it's the Mitchell you need to go to, or Clydebank Library (or elsewhere?). At that time voters ages would be age 21+ for men and women (was different pre-1928). Voting from age 18 came about in 1969.

All the best,

Andrew Paterson

garibaldired

Post by garibaldired » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:32 pm

Thank you, Andrew.
I'm a long way away down in the south of England I'm afraid so unless someone could possibly help me.......................?
Living in hope, :)
Meg

joette
Global Moderator

Post by joette » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:37 pm

Hi Clark Street is off Overtoun Road near to Dalmuir Park.340 Dumbarton Road would be a tenement building on the left hand side as you enter dalmuir from Clydebank.I have always found the staff in Archives at Clydebank Library very helpful.My next trip home is early April & if you waited until then will have a look there at Voters Rolls etc.
Clark St is a fairly "posh" address well in comparison to the tenements!!!
I think 340 would be about where what was the Parish Church & is now the RC church or it would be just over the Bridge near to the Regal.
Both addresses are still there(not positive on the 340 one) but Clark St is.
Researching:SCOTT,Taylor,Young,VEITCH LINLEY,MIDLOTHIAN
WADDELL,ROSS,TORRANCE,GOVAN/DALMUIR/Clackmanannshire
CARR/LEITCH-Scotland,Ireland(County Donegal)
LINLEY/VEITCH-SASK.Canada
ALSO BROWN,MCKIMMIE,MCDOWALL,FRASER.
Greer/Grier,Jenkins/Jankins

CathieL

Post by CathieL » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:58 pm

Hi Meg
I also had two addresses I wanted to find out about. If you send an e-mail to Archives ArchivesATcls.glasgow.gov.uk they will look them up for you. They have valuation and voters rolls from 1913 on. One of mine was 1907 which they did not have (but told me where to try next) and the other was 1919 but the person I expected to be there was not! I took about ten days for the archivist to look them up but her e-mail to me was very nice and very helpful so I thought you micht want to give it a try.
Regards, Cathie :)

Sorry, I don't know how to make the e-mail come up as a link!
E-mail address modified - you do nothing to it, just type it in and it makes a link out of it for you. - AndrewP
E-mail address changed to AT by moderator
Researching- Stewart. Connolly,McQuade, Coyle,Kelly, Farrell, McKenna, Ward. Kenny.

CathieL

Post by CathieL » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:51 pm

Thanks Andrew, I had copied and pasted it from the e-mail I had received, that is probably why it did not come as a link as I expected. Thanks for fixing it for me.
Cathie 8)
Researching- Stewart. Connolly,McQuade, Coyle,Kelly, Farrell, McKenna, Ward. Kenny.

garibaldired

Post by garibaldired » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:52 pm

Hi,
Thanks for both replies.

Thanks for that tip, Cathie.
I'll give the email a try and see what I can discover.
If I'm not successful perhaps I can take you up on your very kind offer,Joette.
Thanks again.
Meg

neleh_22

Post by neleh_22 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:53 pm

Hi Meg,

I'm going to the Mitchell Library tomorrow Tuesday 21st Feb. I will have a look for those addresses for you and I will let you know if I find anything.

Helen
Whitelaw,Hall,Kennedy,Gorman,Folan McLaughlan